Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

High Pressure Fuel Pump

rlw

08 SD350
Just bought a 2008 SD 350 6.4. Engine light came on so took it to Ford dealer.
Says the light indicates the HP fuel pump. Further states its a cab off job at $3100.00. Seems to drive ok at the moment but I'm thinking it could die on the road at any time. Any comments (options) would be welcomed.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just bought a 2008 SD 350 6.4. Engine light came on so took it to Ford dealer.
Says the light indicates the HP fuel pump. Further states its a cab off job at $3100.00. Seems to drive ok at the moment but I'm thinking it could die on the road at any time. Any comments (options) would be welcomed.

Did they say what the code was? Some dtcs (po88,po87, etc) do point primarily to the pump, some could be generated by wiring issues. Are you out of warranty? If so, it is easier to pull the cab for the high pressure pump (but it can be done cab on).

blacksnapon

Staff member
Printable View (50 KB)
TSB
11-4-22 6.4L - LACKS POWER - DTC P0088

Publication Date: April 27, 2011

FORD: 2008-2010 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 11-4-15 to update the Service Labor Time Standards.

ISSUE:
Some F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power concern with an intermittent diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0088; at full operating temperature during moderate to heavy acceleration.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Intermittent P0088 diagnostics:

Check all continues memory DTCs. Is DTC P0088 the only code present?
No - do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) to diagnose this concern.
Yes - continue to Step 2
Replace the high pressure pump (HPP). Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04C for HPP replacement.
Both the fuel volume control valve (VCV) and fuel pressure control valve (PCV) adaptive learning parameters must be reset after a HPP replacement. Refer to PC/ED, Section 4, Hard Start/No Start Diagnostic Subroutines step 7 to reset adaptive tables.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8C3Z-9A543-B High Pressure Fuel Pump

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
10-20-10

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110422A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L Regular Cab: Check DTCs And Replace the HPP Includes Time For Prior Approval, Remove And Install Cab, And Reset Both VCV And PCV Adaptive Learning (Do Not Use with Any Other Labor Operation Except For Other Applicable TSB Articles) 8.9 Hrs.
110422A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L Super And Crew Cab: Check DTCs And Replace the HPP Includes Time For Prior Approval, Remove And Install Cab, And Reset Both VCV And PCV Adaptive Learning (Do Not Use with Any Other Labor Operation Except For Other Applicable TSB Articles) 9.1 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9A543 42

rlw

08 SD350
Thank you so much Blacksnapon for all you info. Exactly what I needed. Bought the truck from a dealer with this issue so this gives me what I needed to know to talk to him about. Also, ever heard complaints after recall 11B23, reprogrammed PCM?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thank you so much Blacksnapon for all you info. Exactly what I needed. Bought the truck from a dealer with this issue so this gives me what I needed to know to talk to him about. Also, ever heard complaints after recall 11B23, reprogrammed PCM?
That reflash sets a dtc when it notices any of a number of issues. If the flash wasnt done, these issues would continue unabated. Don't think of it as problems with the flash, think of it as a problem found that otherwise wouldn't be noticed.

rlw

08 SD350
Thanks, I'm not having any other issues but the truck did kind of (power down) on me once after the reflash. I guess related to the HPFP problem.

blacksnapon

Staff member
update

The pump replacement was a "leftover" from Navistar. Ford has a reflash that "widens" the perameters on the volume control valve, and pressure control valve. These two valves are what fails, or get out of specs. Have your dealer update the pcm before replacing the pump.

Ford Truck Articles