Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I need advice / help please. Feeling lied to by the mechanic and seller of truck

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
A clunk from d-r could be several things
A bad U-joint
Slop in the rear axle
a bad transmission mount
Loose transmission crossmember
bad radius arm bushings

Thank you! (I've written this down)

While the poor abused mechanic has the engine out, is there anything else he should change / check on the parts still on the truck that would be hard to get to with engine still in it?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
For clarification, there is no headlight fluid.

If all the seals are being replaced then no. But make sure the pan gasket and front and rear main seals are being replaced as well....

Also since your there double check that the motor mounts are in good shape.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
"headlight fluid"....thanks, ya nut ;p *giggles*

Don
Excellent, just the info I was looking for. Thank you!!!
Is the pan gasket the one that holds the oil? I need one of those blown out drawings =)

Edited to add: Google is my friend, I think the rear seal goes from the engine to the tranny, right? Pan gasket for the oil and I'm going to assume front gasket would go from to whatever attaches to the front of the engine. Logic would be that they would put new in there, but you are right....better make a phone call today.

Oh, they are using some synthetic 5w oil? Is that a problem? All my research here is saying 10w30 or 10w40(thicker?)

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Rear seal is able to be done without disturbing the oil pan gasket, but it isn't a bad plan to change it also. Front seal for the motor is behind the harmonic balancer, wouldn't hurt to do it, and have a repair sleeve put on, had not such good luck with leaks back onto the crankshaft. Have the front seal on the trans done as well while the motor is out.

Ford Truck Articles