Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'89 f250 is back to its old hijinks - PLEASE HELP

hi everyone,

i finally got everything worked out & running well with the f250 (after at least one tow & many hundreds of dollars...but we're still only into it $2300 or so total). everything has been working perfect for the last 900 miles from ventura,ca to eugene, oregon. then this morning we try to start it up and it fires fine (one of the main issues we had before the ignition switch was replaced), but then idles all erratic, has a loud whirring noise, and the power windows, wipers, and stereo are magically gone again (but working when the key is ON or in the back position). when i shut it off, the loud whirring sound keeps spinning down until it is finally quiet.

i didn't get much info from the shop who put in the ignition and got back our electrical system, besides a mention of finding the issue "inside" rather than in the wiring under the hood, and a bit about resetting the computer to fix the somewhat high idle it had going when i got it.

any ideas what might have happened while it sat overnight to cause the crazy running/idle & electrical weirdness this morning? something with the computer?

any help here would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU

the power windows, wipers, and stereo are magically gone again (but working when the key is ON or in the back position).

i didn't get much info from the shop who put in the ignition and got back our electrical system, besides a mention of finding the issue "inside" rather than in the wiring under the hood,

Well the computer doesn't control anything beside the engine and possibly the trans so it's not responsible for the accessory problems. It sounds like the mechanics were onto something, your description sounds like an ignition switch problem to me, and maybe there is another issue with the wiring inside.. possibly at the fuse panel.

thanks, conanski. anything i should look at related to that fuse panel? is the ignition switch problem you mentioned something that might cause the starter to keep spinning and maybe cause that loud whirring? the engine is rattling all strangely all of a sudden, as well.

thank you

uh...yeah...the KEY was stuck in the crank position. eased it back a bit and we're runnin' normal again - yay.

thanks & see ya

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ahh that would make sense. The whirring noise was the starter still turning, and of course when you're sending power to the starter your accessories turn off because of the draw that it has.

Mystery solved :D

Ford Truck Articles