Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cell phone providers

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Alrighty Cali folks....I am thinking of going with a new cell phone service provider.

I like my Iphone, but AT&T coverage has gotten crappier and crappier over the last year and I am just about fed up with it. I don't care what they say about having the largest all digital network...Not in my neck o the woods.

They lost rights to 3 towers in my neck of the woods so making phone calls is getting hard and accessing the internet from my fancy phone is almost non existent.

So I am thinking about switching it up.

So who do you guys have and do you like them.

Verizon is my first choice since their network has the best covrage out there & they have the new blackberry storm.

Blade

Backwoods boy
both at&t and verizon are nice, but dont know how the coverage area is round u

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've heard mixed feelings about Verizon but I've heard BAD things about the Storm. Don't bother, it sucks. The clicky screen was a good idea but the execution was horrible.

Blade

Backwoods boy
I've heard mixed feelings about Verizon but I've heard BAD things about the Storm. Don't bother, it sucks. The clicky screen was a good idea but the execution was horrible.

ive not heard anything about the storm, but thats just cause Verizon is just now getting to my area..... although when the iphone came out i hard very little good about them, but now my buddy has one ,and ive seen what it can do first hand, and thats a phone i could use :p

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The problem with the haptic feedback (clicky screen) on the storm is that it requires quite a bit of pressure to actually make it click. This needed pressure hinders the speed at which you can press keys on the on-screen keyboard. It would probably seem kind of fun for a couple days but I think you'd soon find the clicking is completely unnecessary and just gets in the way.

This is what I've read in all the reviews. Click screen = huge flop.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Not Cali-specific...

But I have Verizon. Drove cross-country with the infernal device last summer. Worked darn near everywhere except some really rural spots (though I've also had great service in the middle of nowhere). And doesn't work at my father's house, in suburban central Massachusetts, or for half a mile up the road. Other than that...great.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not Cali-specific...

But I have Verizon. Drove cross-country with the infernal device last summer. Worked darn near everywhere except some really rural spots (though I've also had great service in the middle of nowhere). And doesn't work at my father's house, in suburban central Massachusetts, or for half a mile up the road. Other than that...great.

I agree...the GF and parents have Verizon..and have signal almost everywhere. Only place I know where there are problems is my gf phone cuts out slightly when she's in the tub.

Blade

Backwoods boy
you gotta keep in mine though that its your geographic region. i live back in the moutains, in anot so big populated area, so really the only choice i got in a cell phone provider would be at&t.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
you shouldn't use electronic devices in the tub... you might get shocked and die :rofl2:

By a cell phone???????? Trust me...nevermind wanna keep this outta the lounge.

you gotta keep in mine though that its your geographic region. i live back in the moutains, in anot so big populated area, so really the only choice i got in a cell phone provider would be at&t.

I hear that...ya gotta do what you gotta do. But the GF had her verizon with her at school in the mountains of NC...where they only have like one tower per billion acres

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

Yep- depends on the area. I have AT&T, much better coverage, especially in the rural areas and on the coast. But that's here- could be different somewhere else.

Blade

Backwoods boy
i get good enough signal to connect to the edge network, but not the 3g..... sorta sad... wish i could connect to it.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I am really just frustrated right now with AT&T. I had Verizon before and was happy but when ut came time to get a new contract a few years ago I went with AT&T for a variety of reasons. AT&T kept promising more/new towers in the area to clear up the dead zones but they never came. Reception for the last 6-8 months has been gradually worse. I talked to an engineer for Motorola and he told me the problem was AT&T lost some of their tower sites/leases and have been unable to even replace those let alone put up new ones.

On a 5 point scale I would say my reception used to be a 4 and is now about a 2. More frequently then not I can not even access the internet from my iphone.

I played with the blackberry Storm a bit tonight at the verizon store. It does seem like it would take some getting used to but not impossible. There are some other phone options I am looking at but since I really do use mine to store my life in a PDA format is what I will be looking for.

I have read a lot of reviews on the storm and there were some very negative ones when it first came out but I guess they did a firmware update and fixed a bunch of the issues....I dunno. I don't type super fast on the phone anyways so an extra millisecond would probably not be a huge deal to me...

I was hoping to take care of this on my days off but not sure yet if I will get it done.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I have AT&T laptop connect card, and I'm not a fan of it at all...

CONS: Connection cuts in and out, can't download big files (takes to long), slow speeds without the 3G network.
423236991.png

PRO'S: Works MOST of the time, is great when traveling, pretty good speeds in 3G network (I got to use it while traveling some this past year), simple to use.

I haven't really had problems with signal, but it is slow sometimes..

Parent's have had their cellphone through AT&T for a few years now, no complaints as of yet.

EDIT: this might have been a little off topic, but it's from my experience with the company. :D

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Alrighty Cali folks....I am thinking of going with a new cell phone service provider.

I like my Iphone, but AT&T coverage has gotten crappier and crappier over the last year and I am just about fed up with it. I don't care what they say about having the largest all digital network...Not in my neck o the woods.

They lost rights to 3 towers in my neck of the woods so making phone calls is getting hard and accessing the internet from my fancy phone is almost non existent.

So I am thinking about switching it up.

So who do you guys have and do you like them.

Verizon is my first choice since their network has the best covrage out there & they have the new blackberry storm.

i have verizon. and i like em, if they could send out the f-ing paper bill instead of just sending me a txt saying im a month late...F-ers. But yea, got the env 2 (lg). i like it thus far. i get service most places in BFE wyoming

on a side note, i have a AT+T phone here to that has service in, gillette, and gillettle only. But im off network and will breach my contract if i use it. So its for when people call from oklahoma that dont have long distance.

Last edited:
I've got absolutely horrible service at home with AT&T - but away from home I have better service than my wife, who has Verizon. Between the two we manage to have a signal just about everywhere.

I'm getting kind of fed up with AT&T myself

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I currently have T-Mobile and have had great service, only dead spot between here and home was through Oregon around Jordan Valley and it's spotty in my apartment, other than that it's great.

but they've been kinda chitty lately so my mom (currently on her plan) so I'm not sure who she's thinking of going with, I was going to go check out Verison, Sprint, and Cingular with her to see which is best...

Kep4

Jäger
My wife and I have Verizon phones and Verizon cards in our laptops. We're happy with the reception. My LG Venus phone is not the best though.

My wife has a work-issued 'Crackberry' with T-Mobile and she gets great reception. Heck, she can make and receive calls from the desert outside of California City! Our Verizon phone reception is spotty out there.

Ford Truck Articles