Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Flywheel for 79 351W to M5OD

I have a 1965 F100 with a '79 351W. I want to put an M5R2 5 speed behind this engine but can't find the correct flywheel. Do you know the correct casting number is for this engine? I currently have a D7TEGA flywheel but the pressure plate bolts are not lining up.

primetime

sawmill slave
Several years ago I bought a 91 F-150 5.0 5-speed truck with a bad engine. I really thought it needed a 5.8 (351) HO. Well to my knowledge, Ford didn`t build such a truck. So I bought a new flywheel and clutch for the same year F-250. It actually worked out just fine. I was quite pleased.

Oh, and in case you are unaware, flywheel thickness means everything on a hydraulic clutch, at least a oe setup like the M5R2 with an integral slave cylinder. If the flywheel gets remachined, you HAVE to put the appropriate thickness spacer between the flywheel and crankshaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fellro

Staff member
I believe you are trying to use a flywheel that is set up for one piece seals, which will definitely be different than the ones that were 2 piece seal as your 79 motor would be. There is also the issue of external vs. internal balance, which also was in the time period you are working with. I believe the 79 was an external balance, and by the time the one piece seal was implemented, the internal balance was in action. Most likely you will have to use the older style flywheel with a newer style clutch setup.I am certain this mix has been done, much like a newer ZF planted into older rigs. All ZF transmissions are hydraulic clutches. The nice thing with hydraulic is that they self adjust, but of course within limits.

Ford Truck Articles