Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'06 and newer V10 tuner

Has anyone found an acceptable tuner for an '06 F350 with a 6.8 V10? I've found a couple that allude to the fact that they make one but don't have all of the parameters. I'm looking for one that will give me a mile or so per gallon and firm up the shifts. My guess is that the 'fly by wire' has 'em stymied, at least for the present and they would rather concentrate on the money maker diesels.:headbang:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
An xcal 2 should give you the most bang for the buck. As to who is the best file writer for a modular, I have no clue. I do know that www.hensonperformance.com is familiar with them. I do not know him, or his reputation. His info was posted at SCTflash message boards.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I don't think Matt writes V10 files. Not that he couldn't, it is just not his area of expertise. So for the original poster to get what he is really after would require custom tuning. Which he would have to purchase form someone else.

Last edited:
sct excalibrater with the factory load works prety well.

but word of advise from a 05 v10 owner.it's not worth trying any thing on it. ford has ot pretty well tuned out from the factory. and i spent 7k on mine to get 15 hp more only.

they don't like cold air kits,headers. exhaust wise the banks is the only one that works and sounds nice inside the cab.
if you want to know more email me i'll give you my lists

sct excalibrater with the factory load works prety well.

but word of advise from a 05 v10 owner.it's not worth trying any thing on it. ford has ot pretty well tuned out from the factory. and i spent 7k on mine to get 15 hp more only.

they don't like cold air kits,headers. exhaust wise the banks is the only one that works and sounds nice inside the cab.
if you want to know more email me i'll give you my lists

It sounds like you did all the expensive experimenting for us 3 valve V10 owners. :thanks: I did a bunch of research after I made my post and came up with about the same conclusions - my guess is that most of your Hp gain was from the Bank's exhaust mod. I'll look into that mod very shortly

Many tuner mfrs promise lots of Hp gain, but none really have conclusive numbers to prove it except on a PSD. Here in NY (and also Vermont) the V10 is starting to look more attractive as the price of Diesel is now at least $.25 a gallon MORE then gas and with the 6.4 mileage not much better then the V10, I'm beginning to be even happier with my decision to stay with a gasser with my type of driving - plus, I can buy gas anywhere, while diesel often needs a search and additional miles to find it.

i wish i still had my 05-v10 right now but with my fused at 7 levels back theres no way for me to climb up into it any more. had to get a car but at least i stayed ford with a mustang that wears the blower kit in upper left area here

yes we did spend a bundle on testing and 90% plus was found worth less on the dyno rollers. sct with htier std tunes gives maybe in the real world about 5hp. sound wise scince you say new york state you have to drive with the windows a lot like i did in new jersey. the banks kit was the only one that allowed you close the windows. due to harmonics inside. we also found many v10 kits were just diesel kits relabled. mbrp is the biggest noise maker they just tied it up with a forward adapter to the y pipe.

a big note man.DON"T do any thing to that cat/y-pipe set up. right now it costs close to 2k to replace. when we played with mine 2 years ago it was $1585.00

you can email if you want i still have all my info stired for the guys who contact me from that other sites v10 area

and yah man same here diesel is 50 cents higher then gas right now. a 6.4 costs 8k more then the v10 at 600 and some change.that in real world = a very long time to get your payback money.

Last edited:
i wish i still had my 05-v10 right now but with my fused at 7 levels back theres no way for me to climb up into it any more. had to get a car but at least i stayed ford with a mustang that wears the blower kit in upper left area here........................................

./QUOTE]

Thanks again for your information. I will be installing the exhaust kit eventually but until spring I will probably not do much more then drive the truck as I'm trying to finish up my 5.0 powered Model A roadster. The chassis is complete, the body work is done and I started painting all the pieces on Tuesday using an '08/'09 Ford Valencia Orange (Screaming Orange is my name for it). Attached is a picture just before paint disassembly.

Sorry about your back. I'm surprised that you can find your Mustang easier to get in and out of - my last was an '86 GT that I felt that I had to crawl in and out of - but I'm 6'4"

Attachments

Ford Truck Articles