Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My turn for problem

This morning I started the truck to come home and after it warmed up it started smoking and I have a little oil comming out the tail pipe.
Got 105k on it, No codes had the EGR replaced back in Aug at 98K
No other problem. Truck is at dealer ATT. Any idea's

blacksnapon

Staff member
Slobbering injector(s), overfull on oil, excessive wear on the engine, rings, piston.Turbo bearing and/or seals.

The smoke is Gray and smell like oil.
Dealer justed called. 15,000 for New Engine, something let go inside engine, it pushing out a lot of oil, presure in the crank case. I'll be finding some one else to do the repair.

Last edited:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
no way. take it home and try what i said. i have yet that symptom from to much blow by. normally oil comes from the turbo.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I would go for Turbo first, I use to see the same thing on the Rigs I use to work on when the Turbos would start going out..
It was seals in the turbo that oiled the turbo system, left unchecked it can cause a turbo to blow.
If its engine oil I would say Turbo, if it's coming from the cylinders it would be making to the tail pipe as black oil it would just be smoking and stumble and acting all crazy..
I have seen diesels have injector issue were they start pouring in to much fuel and the smoke is a thick horrid gray plume, this is more of fuel pump/fuel delivery issue with the computer.
I'm with them I don't think this is what the dealer is telling you, don't trust them any farther then you throw them.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The smoke is Gray and smell like oil.
Dealer justed called. 15,000 for New Engine, something let go inside engine, it pushing out a lot of oil, presure in the crank case. I'll be finding some one else to do the repair.

Im in CT, have it towed out to me. I'll take good care of it..YelloThumbUp

I thought it maybe the turbo my self. The engine is Running fine makes power .
But with pressure in the block I just don't know. the Oil out the tail pipe is black. I pulled the oil dip stick and you can hear the gases/pressure excape.

Bowtie thats check for oil in the downpipe or back of the turbo but i got oil out the tail pipe.

Dave where you at here in CT.

Last edited:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the downpipe that is part of the exhaust system. it could be a base engine concern if you have extreme amounts of blow by but i highly doubt it. remove the oil fill cap and see how it looks.

Now that I have had time to think about this problem, this is what I hope and think has happen to my truck at this time, more trouble shooting will be done tommorow when it's warmer.
First I use a pre-luber on my truck and the weather has been cold here in CT
Last Saturday after out snow storm I started the truck and it did not like it, but it did warm up, I think that the oil was very cold and the pre-luber push up the oil pressurer and pop a seal in the turbo allowing oil to leak into the turbo and exhust gas to enter the block thur the turbo oil retune.

Here is a what the dealer Diagnosis report:
Verified smoking from tailpipe. Oil found seapage at turbo inducer indicating oil ingestion. Removed dipstick to find excessive blowby/crankcase pressure due to worn engine. Recommend engine and turbo replacement. Estimate to replace, $14580.70 plus tax with a warrenty 2 years unlimited miles on new engine.

This is my vending for the evening and I Will let you know what I find tomorrow when I look at the turbo. Any and all opinions will help too.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Now that I have had time to think about this problem, this is what I hope and think has happen to my truck at this time, more trouble shooting will be done tommorow when it's warmer.
First I use a pre-luber on my truck and the weather has been cold here in CT
Last Saturday after out snow storm I started the truck and it did not like it, but it did warm up, I think that the oil was very cold and the pre-luber push up the oil pressurer and pop a seal in the turbo allowing oil to leak into the turbo and exhust gas to enter the block thur the turbo oil retune.

Verified smoking from tailpipe. Oil found seapage at turbo inducer indicating oil ingestion. Removed dipstick to find excessive blowby/crankcase pressure due to worn engine. Recommend engine and turbo replacement. Estimate to replace, $14580.70 plus tax with a warrenty 2 years unlimited miles on new engine.

This is my vending for the evening and I Will let you know what I find tomorrow when I look at the turbo. Any and all opinions will help too.

I live in griswold and work up in Putnam. I just happen to have a turbo at the house as long as your truck is 04 and newer.

Guest i'm in luck my truck is an 04 build date 0504. I sent you a PM.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Worn Engine!!! at 105K are they nuts. Maybe if you drive around without an air filter from day one and change the oil once a year, tow with an extreme tune and race it on the weekends. 105k on a diesel is nothing (or even a modern gas motor) if you perform routine maintenance and don't overly abuse it.

Definitely go see Dave and leave this other dealership far away, sounds like they just want to make the coin off a new motor install.

I would love to know how they came to that conclusion. I would also wager a fair amount of money that there is another cause for the crankcase pressure. Perhaps even one that does not require a $15,000 engine replacement. Man if you own one of these trucks you have got to spend the time to study them so you can separate the b.s. from the truth. The service manager there is not required to be diesel qualifed right? Who backs up the tech on the analyisis?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I would love to know how they came to that conclusion. I would also wager a fair amount of money that there is another cause for the crankcase pressure.
There is a gauge that measures crankcase pressure. We also have specs for what is acceptable. Excessive crankcase pressure causes are limited no matter if you have a diesel or not. Worn/broken rings, worn/damaged piston(s), worn/damaged cylinder walls. It doesn't matter if its got 105k or 2 miles on it, damage can happen any time.

Correct they usually have no diesel experence. What we say goes.

Yeah I know me personally I'd want to know the guy I am doing that kind of business with. It certainly helps. I think if this happened to me at that point I'd consider a 6.8L or 5.4L swap for probably half the money. Unfortunately for the $5300 premium that was paid for these engines along with that comes some expectations. I know there are many variables that go into engine life. Hopefully he worked the sh#$ out of it.

There is a gauge that measures crankcase pressure. We also have specs for what is acceptable. Excessive crankcase pressure causes are limited no matter if you have a diesel or not. Worn/broken rings, worn/damaged piston(s), worn/damaged cylinder walls. It doesn't matter if its got 105k or 2 miles on it, damage can happen any time.

I know those are the usual suspects as far as gas engines go. There is so much I have to learn when it comes to this one. Someone suggested that a worn turbo seal might allow pressure back to the crankcase via the lube oil system. Not really knowing how the turbocharger is constructed with regard to the shaft seals (mechanical seals I would guess) or if the path would exist in the event of a worn seal to get pressure to the crankcase. $5 or 6 grand for a turbo vice $15 for an entire engine would be cool.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I know those are the usual suspects as far as gas engines go. There is so much I have to learn when it comes to this one. Someone suggested that a worn turbo seal might allow pressure back to the crankcase via the lube oil system. Not really knowing how the turbocharger is constructed with regard to the shaft seals (mechanical seals I would guess) or if the path would exist in the event of a worn seal to get pressure to the crankcase. $5 or 6 grand for a turbo vice $15 for an entire engine would be cool.
Nope, more pressure in the oil system than in the exhaust or intake. With a worn seal, you're more likely to get oil in the exhaust or intake.

Ford Truck Articles