Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EGR cooler getting replaced

Kep4

Jäger
I took my truck in this morning because it puked while towing this weekend. After it cooled down I added an entire gallon of distilled water to get it to the old min/new max line! Not good....

Anyway, just got the call from the SA stating they're replacing the EGR cooler and another part he could not recall. :slap:

Here's the possibly crazy part: I swear that the last couple of weeks I could hear what sounded like a 'boiling water' sound coming from under the hood while I was driving. It was more pronounced while I was towing.

I know, "He's from California, fruits and nuts!!". 'hippie'

This will probably get a little off track but I just wanted to see if some of our Certified Techs could verify that this is possible to hear or that I'm just having flashbacks to the 80's. beer drinking smilie

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Did you get that EGR cooler correct, because I've never heard of an EGR cooler.[confused]

blacksnapon

Staff member
Now, to verify a defective egr cooler, you use some tools out of the 6.4 special tools. Its 2 plates that you attach to either end of the cooler. Using these, you can pressurize with shop air, and submerge in water. To check for a defective oil cooler, you use a "Radkit". It will use shop air, but its to generate a vacuum. If it does pull a vacuum, it should be replaced. Is the noise water "gushing" in the heater hoses?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
My mistake I didn't read where your post came from.

If you heard boiling that means there is a pressure loss in your cooling system. Maybe the coolant was leaking into the EGR and then into the intake, and that's where your coolant went to.

Kep4

Jäger
It sounded like water boiling and steaming off inside a pool heater to me. I was a pool tech back in the day and when the heater would boil the water in the copper tubes it sounded like that, that's the only way I can describe the sound, like a muffled boiling water sound.

My thoughts when I heard it were, "I wonder if the EGR cooler is going bad". Maybe just coincidence.

I'll ask to speak with the Technician, if possible, and see what steps he's taking to check it out. I know he's Certified on the 6.0.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, the cooler is probably toast. There is a tsb directed toward coolant loss. It outlines all steps to take to make the repair.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
It sounded like water boiling and steaming off inside a pool heater to me. I was a pool tech back in the day and when the heater would boil the water in the copper tubes it sounded like that, that's the only way I can describe the sound, like a muffled boiling water sound.

My thoughts when I heard it were, "I wonder if the EGR cooled is going bad". Maybe just coincidence.

I'll ask to speak with the Technician, if possible, and see what steps he's taking to check it out. I know he's Certified on the 6.0.

Russ,

Sounds like you were hearing correctly. Make damn sure they check the oil cooler as plugging of the oil cooler is notorious for taking out EGR coolers.

How many miles on the truck?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Now, to verify a defective egr cooler, you use some tools out of the 6.4 special tools. Its 2 plates that you attach to either end of the cooler. Using these, you can pressurize with shop air, and submerge in water.

Darn nice of FMC to wait until the 6.4 comes out to get you guys the proper tools to test the EGR cooler 'smiliedoh'

Kep4

Jäger
50,712 miles.

I've had a coolant filter on it since about 5,000 miles, but I'll check with them to ensure they've checked the oil cooler as well. As long as it's in for service I might as well get it all done correctly!

This same dealer installed the ARP studs in October 2007. I had fears of blown HG's again, or warped/cracked heads. They replaced the turbo and EGR valve at that time as well.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
50,712 miles.

I've had a coolant filter on it since about 5,000 miles, but I'll check with them to ensure they've checked the oil cooler as well. As long as it's in for service I might as well get it all done correctly!

This same dealer installed the ARP studs in October 2007. I had fears of blown HG's again, or warped/cracked heads. They replaced the turbo and EGR valve at that time as well.

Hmmm that is not very many miles, especially since you had the coolant filter installed from early on. Wonder if they dropped the EGR cooler during the Head stud install, and the damage is just now showing up?

I would be curious to hear Vince's take on this.

IIRC you are not tuned correct?

Kep4

Jäger
Yes it was, the mildest SCT tow tune from Innovative. I'm towing stock from now on though. I never used any other tune than the tow tune. I really like the 'crisper' shifting and lag reduction of the tune.

I'll ask Eric tomorrow for a tow tune strictly for the shifting improvement, less lag time, and keep the power at factory levels.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Yes it was, the mildest SCT tow tune from Innovative. I'm towing stock from now on though. I never used any other tune than the tow tune. I really like the 'crisper' shifting and lag reduction of the tune.

I'll ask Eric tomorrow for a tow tune strictly for the shifting improvement, less lag time, and keep the power at factory levels.

Hmmm, may want to ask Eric what EGT & cylinder temps his tow tune normally sees. I wonder if these are higher than factory. Some performance tunes actually run lower EGT and/or cylinder temps than factory.

I am guessing you installed EGT gauge then, what temps have you been seeing while towing?

Also a little known fact, Matt's engine tunes always run cooler & with lower cylinder pressures than Eric's, but Eric generally has smoother shifting tranmission tunes. They did trade some inside knowledge from time to time, but Matt always had a gift for getting the most from the motor with the least increase in temps & cylinder pressures. Eric always had a gift with smooth shifts in the Torqshift.

I have always been a very big advocate for AM gauges on any 6.0 stock or tuned. The more information available to the driver the better. Imho, AM EGT, EOT, Water Temp, Volt, Fuel Pressure & Trans Temp at the minimum in all trucks and especially if you tow. The factory Water Temp & Trans Temp leave alot to be desired and Fuel Pressure is very helpful to detect fuel filter problems early. EGT's give short term information, but the EOT & Water Temp will show you just how warm the engine is under a sustained load.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hmmm that is not very many miles, especially since you had the coolant filter installed from early on. Wonder if they dropped the EGR cooler during the Head stud install, and the damage is just now showing up?

I would be curious to hear Vince's take on this.

IIRC you are not tuned correct?
Even though studs are a viable safety net for performance "enhancements" they do not absolutely guarantee no more head/gasket failures. One reason why the manufacturers dont adopt studs is that they will have to train all techs on the proper use and installation of them. If the quality of the stud installation and use varies from one garage to another, warranty numbers will skyrocket. One thing they dont tell you is that there is no margin for error with studs (all torques and procedures HAVE to be perfect). There is a margin with bolts. The use of the test plates (303-1268-1 and 303-1268-2) will pinpoint any damage.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Anyone needs a spare EGR Cooler, I got one on my shelf at home. :)

Kep4

Jäger
Thanks for all of the info guys!

I've got EGT, trans temp, and a boost gauge installed. I don't let EGT get over 1,200 and my trans temp typically does not exceed 190 when towing. The boost gauge was a waste of money as it's within 1 psi of the factory gauge.

Guess I'll look into a 4- gauge mount and add EOT and water temp. I've got the moonroof so the over-mirror mounts don't fit up there.

Vince, I'm still concerned that either the head gasket(s) are compromised and/or a head(s) is cracked. All I can do is hope they are thorough in their testing. If I can speak with the Tech I'll ask if they test for that.

I'll never tow tuned again, even a mild performance tow tune. I just liked the reduced lag and improved shift qualities a lot. I've not tried to get in touch with Matt because of all the stories about how difficult it is to get a response from Spartan.

Michigan
Not to interrupt but..

I just picked up my bosses 05 6.0 from the dealer today. 55K miles on it, and hes already went through 1 trans, 1 turbo, and 1 egr valve. This time it was in for another EGR valve and cooler. Puked white smoke all over the place when it broke. He hates that truck.

Kep4

Jäger
Matt has his 6.0 tunes on his website. They are in the tune archives.

Maybe I'll give him a call and/or email and see what happens. I would keep it stock but I almost got T-boned due to turbo lag one time. A few other times it was just frustrating or embarrassing.

I should get it back by Thursday and I'll post what they did and the results.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Not to interrupt but..

I just picked up my bosses 05 6.0 from the dealer today. 55K miles on it, and hes already went through 1 trans, 1 turbo, and 1 egr valve. This time it was in for another EGR valve and cooler. Puked white smoke all over the place when it broke. He hates that truck.

Let me guess, it is tuned correct?

Ford Truck Articles