Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 aerostar transmission

97 aerostar xlt 2 wheel drive 3l eng with automatic overdrive trans.

well I think my transmission is slipping it feels like ?I dont have the power when I start out and going uphill. Now I am thinking it may need to be rebuilt but I'm thinking it may have band that can be adjusted.

Just need to know if it is adjustable as I don't want to pay to rebuild if adjustment is all I need.

Fellro

Staff member
Typically, band adjustment only affects second gear. It is also additional to a clutch pack applied at the same time. Slippage would be noticed by the engine revving more than usual, while not necessarily gaining speed. Lack of power transmitting is slippage, simply lack of power in general is not. However, there are other things that can cause the perception of lack of power that are transmission related, but again, not adjustable.

had trans serviced and no improvement. sounds like the torque converter is a lot louder and wish i had a tack as sounds like engine rev's are up and lacking power but to be honest I dont think its slipping I wonder if the t/c which is a pump as I understand it and thinking every time I had a auto trans rebuilt they always installed a new t/c. any thoughts out there?

Fellro

Staff member
There are bearings in the converter which can and do go bad. If the impeller has too much play in it, you can get bad performance. Essentially all there really is inside the converter is the impeller and the raised fins on the housing wall pushing the fluid. Since fluid doesn't like to be compressed, the motion of the housing pushes on the impeller inducing motion. The newer converters also have a lock up clutch which in essence works like a regular clutch in that it actually contacts the housing and reduces the little bit of slip that will occur in a non-lock up converter. The ratio of a non-lockup is 9/10:1, while a lockup gets 1:1.

Thanks for the info. I love the aerostar and its time for a tune-up and will have trans rebuilt at same time. and maybe the engine also as I need to remove engine to replace spark plugs and I want to replace wires, hoses and belt and anything else that may be smart to replace while easy to get at. not sure if I want to remove eng/trans myself I did it on my 87 about 15 years ago but that was when I was younger.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts