Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

05 F350 hard start with lots of smoke

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
A friend of mine has a 05 F350. His truck is experiencing hard starts in the morning. when it does stat it pretty much blacks out the neighborhood. What could be causing this?

blacksnapon

Staff member
A friend of mine has a 05 F350. His truck is experiencing hard starts in the morning. when it does stat it pretty much blacks out the neighborhood. What could be causing this?
If theres no other symptoms, I'd think starting with egr valve is warranted. Excess fuel in the oil pan? Does it smoke after initial startup? Good power?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
It has good power after it starts. Once it cranks and warms up it cranks fine the rest of the day. The temp is in the 60's here.

He did tell me that this started after he had to change out bad batteries. i know that low voltage kills the ficm. He is under warrenty. I told him to take it in.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It has good power after it starts. Once it cranks and warms up it cranks fine the rest of the day. The temp is in the 60's here.

He did tell me that this started after he had to change out bad batteries. i know that low voltage kills the ficm. He is under warrenty. I told him to take it in.
Yeah, because of the battery issue, BTH probably got it!

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Last night when he was spinning it over the odemeter gave him a tcb fault. It will run about 10 secs and die.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Last night when he was spinning it over the odemeter gave him a tcb fault. It will run about 10 secs and die.

Do you mean TBC- trailer brake controller? Sounds like the ficm maybe shot, had a truck in the other day just start and stall barley running. Changed the ficm and runs like new.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Thats what i figure it is. i was going to help him take it to the shop yesterday but it was storming. We will take it today.

he tried to start it and it would sputter and try to crank.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts