Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1200 RPM Engine Vibe

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
So its just a hanging weight?
Interesting...
Where do you hang it though?
I understand that, its not just dealer techs, its actually almost any automotive techs.

So its just a hanging weight?
Interesting...
Where do you hang it though?
I understand that, its not just dealer techs, its actually almost any automotive techs.

Things vibrate because they are at or near resonant frequency. That is a property of the material/construction of the object. Hanging a weight just shifts the resonant frequency to some other RPM. I had a 2500HD GMC that had a vibration similar to that. The dealer welded a weight to my muffler to "fix" the problem. As Blacksnapon said it does not address the root cause of the vibration but it should quiet both the customer and the noise in the driveline. My guess is something is shorted to the frame that rotates. Could be lots of things. Hard to say without some very expensive equipment to id the frequency of the vibration.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea that was my guess was it was near or at the resonate frequency.
Possibly something like the shaking of movement of the diesel causing something else to vibrate....?
Am i on the right track here?

texas_diesel

Lubbock Bum
Well I'll bring all this up the the guys at the dealership next trip in. I'd never really thought about the exhaust system or a trailer hitch vibrating enough to feel it on a 7400# truck.

Thanks fellas:beer:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
texas_diesel,

As stated have your dealer check all options. The reason i suspect an exhaust problem is that you said it goes away after the truck gets up to operating temperature. The exhaust may be misaligned just enough to cause a problem until everything reaches operating temperature and then moves just enough to eliminate the noticeable vibration.

Ford Truck Articles