Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

"Normal" Oil Consumption?

Hey does anyone have an idea of what would represent normal oil consumption during a 5000 mile interval? The manual does not give an amount. I'd say I have added at least two quarts since my last change in September.

Im not sure but I have never had to add any oil. 47,000 on theclock and I always use synthetic oil.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've always been told a quart for 900 miles is the max acceptable.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Hey does anyone have an idea of what would represent normal oil consumption during a 5000 mile interval? The manual does not give an amount. I'd say I have added at least two quarts since my last change in September.

Im not sure but I have never had to add any oil. 47,000 on theclock and I always use synthetic oil.

Each engine will have its own specific characteristics, but the troubling part of your question is that you say you have never used oil in the past and now all of a sudden you are using a substantial amount. Since it appears your oil consumption has spiked i would be looking for a cause. A few things to consider;

Has your driving style & conditions change significantly since the last oil change?

Have you increased your towing significantly since your last oil change?

Have you checked the engine over for external leaks?

Checked for possible oil leak at turbo that is being burned?

I purchased the truck with about 5,500 miles on it. I can remember finding oil on the CAC inlet pipe flex coupling (heat exchanger side). Not a lot, maybe enough to form a drop. Since then there has always been a persistent drop of oil there. There is oil on the other flex coupling as well (turbine outlet). I have also noticed oil under the truck. A drop would form on the transmission bell housing but never enough to be noticed in the driveway.

Attachments

• turbo.jpg

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I purchased the truck with about 5,500 miles on it. I can remember finding oil on the CAC inlet pipe flex coupling (heat exchanger side). Not a lot, maybe enough to form a drop. Since then there has always been a persistent drop of oil there. There is oil on the other flex coupling as well (turbine outlet). I have also noticed oil under the truck. A drop would form on the transmission bell housing but never enough to be noticed in the driveway.

Time to change the CAC hoses they get porus and leak, also the cam sensor orings leak alot and tends to run down the side of the enine to the rear and drips. Still in Preston? Bring it up we'll get it fixed....

Time to change the CAC hoses they get porus and leak, also the cam sensor orings leak alot and tends to run down the side of the enine to the rear and drips. Still in Preston? Bring it up we'll get it fixed....

Nah I moved to Wilton, NY. Believe me if anything serious goes down with this truck I'll get it there. Why would oil be collecting in the CAC hose?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Normal blow by from the CCV which is directed into the air intake ahead of the turbo.

Had I bothered to read "The 6.0L Bible" it clearly states in plain English that is normal. Dave I think I am about 2.5 to 3 hrs away. The dealership here put some dye in my oil after having my truck for a day to find leaks. They were unable to find anything and did not report the oil on the CAC flex's so either they did not notice (hard to believe) or thought it normal/unimportant. I am going to find a UV light to see if I can ID the location on my own. I can always use it for AC & refrigeration stuff anyways.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Had I bothered to read "The 6.0L Bible" it clearly states in plain English that is normal. Dave I think I am about 2.5 to 3 hrs away. The dealership here put some dye in my oil after having my truck for a day to find leaks. They were unable to find anything and did not report the oil on the CAC flex's so either they did not notice (hard to believe) or thought it normal/unimportant. I am going to find a UV light to see if I can ID the location on my own. I can always use it for AC & refrigeration stuff anyways.

Look on the driver side front behind the power steering pump it's kind of hard but you'll see a connector sticking out the side of the block, make sure it's not wet, thats the cam sensor they leak all the time.It takes quite a bit of dye in a diesel to get it to show, we have that problem around here and then they come to us because the other dealer couldn't find it or just didn't want to be bothered. Honestly I think all diesels will leak at some point it's just a question of how much is normal. If you decide to come up let me know and i'll see about getting you in a free loaner car while the trucks getting repaired.

I intend on replacing the CAC flex's to see if that will dry everything up, additionally I will look at the spots you mentioned if there is something there worth going after I will ask the dealer here to fix it. As far as oil usage I am going to track it more closely over the next interval. The sump is nominally 15 quarts. Yesterday I added roughly 14.5 qts which put it at the top of the dipstick.

Thanks
JR

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Honestly I think all diesels will leak at some point it's just a question of how much is normal.

"Depend diapers for trucks"... that's my new marketing idea for a truck accessory!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts