Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New lighting in our office space

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Nice Doug, fluorescents are going to be a thing of the past. On a side note.. I removed all the CFL's in our house after one bulb had a complete burning meltdown when it burnt out. Scary stuff, and stunk the house for days.

I had two of the CFL fire starters do that also. I switched to led and tossed the CFL bulbs. They are not safe st all.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Several years ago, the power company offered free energy audits. They supplied a free wrap for the hot water heater, and installed CFL's in all the lights. They took forever to light up, so they disappeared shortly after the energy audit was done. I'm glad I did that. Sounds they were a problem, in more ways than one.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
When Maine offered a massive reduced priced on LED bulbs at home depot or lowes (even though there were limits per person) we went and cleaned them out....then replaced just about every bulb on our property.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I had two of the CFL fire starters do that also. I switched to led and tossed the CFL bulbs. They are not safe st all.

When it happened to us I went on the computer and found out that many people had this occur. Some scary stories of small fires that could have been much worse if they owners had not been quick to react. I had saved the bulb to show to our friends, in which they all got rid of their CFL's.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Dang right, no CFL's in our house. I think only one has survived, and I left it on the front porch light we never use. LED is a nice product, despite the price. It'll come down though.

Ryan

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
When the first one flamed out the side I thought that was odd.
I knew something was shorting some where as I could hear out over the radio at times. Once it blew out the short sound stopped.
Then I heard another one sizzle a week or so later. Different brand and wattage. It blew out and burnt the paint on the fixture.
That is when I tossed them all. You never hear on the news about these causing fires.

rambler

New Shoes......
wonder what it costs to replace all those lights and the ROI.. I put cheap cheap fluorescent lights in my old shop building, light was not that great and very slow to light with a unheated building.. so still had to use work lights..

I had one cfl burn out the side but I haven't had anymore. Maybe I should change the rest anyways.

This morning I went to lowes to get an LED flood fixture for the outside . The damn things kept turning on and off so I couldn't read the tags.
I finally left that area with no light fixture and half blinded.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
wonder what it costs to replace all those lights and the ROI.. I put cheap cheap fluorescent lights in my old shop building, light was not that great and very slow to light with a unheated building.. so still had to use work lights..

The electrician said they were a little bit shy of $200 each.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Very cool Doug!

Re...CFL's and fire...very few actual cases of flames....just a major stench....we get industry reports.

ROI....really varies depending on :

-Initial cost

-What they are replacing

-What energy costs are in existing building...A/C has to be taken to consideration as well being that the existing fixture will emit a certain amount of btu's.

Most of the time an energy audit is done to see what the ROI is....maintenance programs/costs are also taken into consideration.

Cold weather....the cheezy fixtures you buy at the local store typically are not rated to start under 40F....they will....but as noted, they take a while to boot up.

Best bet are the T5 tubes, 4100k with electronic ballasts....and a brand name.

:wavey:

rambler

New Shoes......
yeah,, I have not been sold yet on replacing to LEDs as well as solar as the ROI, number never added up for a homeowner.. after so many years, you finally maybe get them paid off, but then you have obsolete devices and start all over, that is only if none failed before the ROI, ,and business/warehouse different story....

but I am still looking...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
yeah,, I have not been sold yet on replacing to LEDs as well as solar as the ROI, number never added up for a homeowner.. after so many years, you finally maybe get them paid off, but then you have obsolete devices and start all over, that is only if none failed before the ROI, ,and business/warehouse different story....

but I am still looking...

Depends...solar has really dropped....$1 per watt these days.

LED's even at $20 per lamp are worth it.

We replaced around 150 in our place (65R30) and the power bill dropped quite a bit and the A/C ran way less.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
We have replaced every light fixture in our house with LED. Home Despot had a huge sale on Feit Electric lights, so we cleaned them out. Between that and a new heat pump our power bills are now about 30 to 50% of what they used to be. I'm pleased.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
We have replaced every light fixture in our house with LED. Home Despot had a huge sale on Feit Electric lights, so we cleaned them out. Between that and a new heat pump our power bills are now about 30 to 50% of what they used to be. I'm pleased.

Love it!

I never reported back on our heat pumps, but our electricity AND propane costs have ALREADY PAID for the costs.....we do spend a ton on electricity and heat, so the savings was MASSIVE......love our pumps and our new light bulbs.

Ford Truck Articles