Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No start diagnosis

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So trying to track down the no start issues with the truck. Wasn't getting fuel to the filter housing so replaced the lift pump. Now getting fuel but when cranking but when releasing the scrader valve on the regulator on the side of the filter housing I get a very weak spurt of fuel. Should I be getting a strong stream? I know the propper pressure is between 50-75psi.

96 F250.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
The relay has 2 large terminals. See if power is going through the relay with a test light. It'll only be there for a few seconds after you turn on the key.

When you say power on either side of the relay do you mean the input from the battery via a 30 amp fuse or maybe even a fusible link or do you mean a switching source via the ignition circuit.
Just to check if it will start you can disconnect the input power lead from the glow plug solenoid and get a jumper lead then connect it from the pos side of the battery and hold it on the output side of the glow relay glow for ten seconds (not too much longer or you'll run the risk of burning out the plugs) then have someone try and start the truck.
As far as fuel supply goes Eric i've never played with one of these but i would be really surprised if you should have high pressure on the filter side of the equation - quick and dirty test if you want to see if fuel is getting to the injectors is to undo the pressure fuel line 1/2 a turn on one of the injectors and see if it spits fuel while being cranked.
Another thing to check for if there is no fuel coming out of the open injector is that the fuel shut off solenoid is working on the fuel pump ( had a failed one just yesterday on a dirty old hilux surf)

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Not sure exactly but there's nothing happening at the solenoid, can't even cross the posts and the trigger wire doesn't get power when the key is turned on.

Can someone point me towards the wire to check for power to the PCM?

Ford Truck Articles