Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Water leaked into valve cover

Hello. So I did something stupid, do a lot of stupid things but this one i hope you all can help with. I was changing valve cover gaskets and got one side done but decided to wait on the other one as it got too late. i put the valve cover back on but didn't think about hooking up the pcv hose since i was going to change it the next day anyway. Well it rained and it rained hard. Even though the hood was closed water still got in and of course leaked in where i left the pcv valve off. I haven't started the truck or did anything yet. Was wondering what you all might suggest? Would wiping everything down be a good idea or should i do something else? I heard or read something before not to touch or clean anything under the valve covers. But really may not have a choice. I figure on at least an oil change but that wont help get all water. Not even sure that much got in where it would have went down into the engine but i don't want to take any chances. Thanks

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm with Randy, put that cover back on, seal it up, and do an oil change. It should be okay!

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
It shouldn't have gotten much of any in there if the hood was down. Probably more condensation than actual entry. Like already said, the typical fix for such is just change the oil.

Awesome! Thanks everyone! I expected much worse but was close to needing an oil change anyways. The weatherstripping for the hood rotted away a long time ago but never thought much of it. Will be replacing that as well soon. Thanks again.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Nahh you need a major overhaul.. water in engines destroy them.. LOL jk... Like the others said.. Change the oil, and whatevers left will evaporate when the engine reaches operating temps.. The engines are not perfectly sealed to begin with and do get condensation in them over time. Which is a big reason your oil temps get up to 180 sum degrees is to burn out the condensation that gets absorbed in the oil while its not running..

Ford Truck Articles