Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Viscosity Oil do you use?

What viscosity oil do you use?

• Total voters
Just as a tidbit of info...the owners maunal for the Mustang says every 10k for oil changes. Take that for what it's worth. Oil to be used is MC 5w-20.

I don't believe I'd go that long without an oil change, but thats me. especially not with regular oil. With regular oil, I woudlnt go over maybe 5000-6000 miles.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't believe I'd go that long without an oil change, but thats me. especially not with regular oil. With regular oil, I woudlnt go over maybe 5000-6000 miles.

Ehhh...seems to me, most gassers have a life of 250-300k...there have been rigs in my family that have gone 50k between oil changes that make the life expectancy. I'm a tad more anal about maintenance than my father but not by much. Maybe we're just lucky in that aspect. However, my grandfather was a Ford master mechanic for 40 years...he always said 12k or once a year for an oil change. Now given, oil has probably changed a ton in the last 30 years, but that's what I've always gone with. So I've never bought into (and believe it's hype) of 3-5k oil changes. All that said...10k sounds about right for me. But I agree, when compared to what most folks say, yes 10k does seem like an eternity.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not to mention that today's engines also run a lot cleaner which can extend the oil life.

Fellro

Staff member
Motorcraft 5W-20 is Synthetic blend... My mom's 02 Buick Lesabre is approaching 350,000 with regular 7000 mile oil changes... Have been running Lucas Oil treatment in it for the last 150,000 though.

I'll stick with 6000 miles in newer vehicles and 3000-4000 in older. thats just me. It sure wnt hurt anything

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I won't say how long I go between changes, but I will say that I have had it analyzed and everything is perfect.

Fellro

Staff member
Use and abuse is the biggest factor for oil changes. Spend hours running down the interstate, the oil lasts longer (I should say the additives last longer, because the oil is typically fine). run lots of short trips that hardly get to operating temp, then quicker times aren't such a bad idea. Work the heck out of it, longer intervals might not be so good.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
now i wanna hear this!!!!

i go 6-7k miles.....

I get samples analyzed by a lab...some have been 15000 miles with zero issues, all parameters well within acceptable levels. This has been in air cooled (HD) and a Cat engine and a 6.0.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I get samples analyzed by a lab...some have been 15000 miles with zero issues, all parameters well within acceptable levels. This has been in air cooled (HD) and a Cat engine and a 6.0.

Do they just do wear metals, or do they do more than that? This is exactly what we do for turbine lube oil, since it is so costly to replace the oil.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Viscosity, Spectral, Insolubles and Flashpoint is in the standard test.

Bump..

What lab do you use, Blackstone?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I go 4500 KM between changes in my vehicles. Some may say that is overkill, but I am picky when it comes to engine cleanliness. Once the oil becomes a dark brown, its time to go... That usually hits at around the 4500 KM mark.

My 1990 Honda Accord calls for 12,000 KM oil chances. YEA RIGHT.

I go 4500 KM between changes in my vehicles. Some may say that is overkill, but I am picky when it comes to engine cleanliness. Once the oil becomes a dark brown, its time to go... That usually hits at around the 4500 KM mark.

My 1990 Honda Accord calls for 12,000 KM oil chances. YEA RIGHT.

thats how i am as well

Rotella T 5W40 in the PSD and not sure on what to use in the new Ranger (3.0 Flex Fuel) yet. Been reading 5w30 is the ticket.... :suspicious:

Ford Truck Articles