Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Internal slave cylinder quick connect issues

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
I have a '95 F250 4x4 with the 5.8ci engine and 5 speed manual transmission.

I am trying to figure out how to disconnect the quick connect hydraulic line that is attached to the internally mounted slave cylinder, so that I can pull the transmission.

Do I need a special tool, or is there another way that it can be disconnected?

I'm in the process of changing both the clutch, and the slave.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I hope somebody comes along who knows something, 'cause I'm way down in the cobwebs of my mind....

Is that fitting one you can make a tool to release the fitting by getting a washer of the right size and cutting a slot in it, so it's shaped more like a "U"?

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
I hope somebody comes along who knows something, 'cause I'm way down in the cobwebs of my mind....

Is that fitting one you can make a tool to release the fitting by getting a washer of the right size and cutting a slot in it, so it's shaped more like a "U"?

I'm afraid not. It's kinda similar to a fuel line quick connect, just bigger in diameter, and much smaller clearance for a tool to get in there to release it.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Special tool was like $5.
I bought it and broke it all in the same day, ugh!!! :headbang:

It's all good though.
I ended up cutting the plastic hydraulic line off at the fitting, just to be able to finish dropping the tranny.

Once that was accomplished, I removed the old slave cylinder from the tranny, knocked the roll pin out of the steel line that had the connector on it, and removed the assembly from the old slave.

I then put the stuck connector in a bench vise, saturated it with some rust release penetrant, and let it sit overnight.

The following day, I manufactured a release tool of my own out of a soda can.
One that worked like a fuel line disconnect tool and could get down around the connector.

After working the new tool around in the connector a few times with a pair of channel locks, a lot of corrosion started coming out of it.

It finally let go after an hour of cleaning corrosion out of it, applying more penentrating oil, and working it back and forth with the channel locks.

Needless to say, the transmission is now back in the truck with a new clutch and slave cylinder, and moving under it's own power again.

All I can say is, I hate what road salt does to metals!!! :mad:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts