Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4L thrust washer and main bearings replacement

Hi I've got a 2wd 07 f-150 with a 5.4 in it and I'm trying to find out if it would be possible to change the thrust washer and main crankshaft bearings without removing the engine . Thanks in advance

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hi I've got a 2wd 07 f-150 with a 5.4 in it and I'm trying to find out if it would be possible to change the thrust washer and main crankshaft bearings without removing the engine . Thanks in advance
I suppose anything is possible, advisable? NO. To change main bearings, you need the crankshaft to be loose from the block. One end has the timing chains attached, the other end has the flywheel/converter attached. When you drop the crank, you'll deform the rear main seal, possibly creating a failure there. Because of the 2 wheel drive nature, you won't have much room to see if you're installing everything properly, or torque wrench maneuverability. My opinion, too risky.

Yea , after thinking about it and digging in to it a little more, I noticed that the chain guides were all chewed up and broken again for the third time in the last year . So that sealed the deal on yanking it out for me . It would be wAy too much work to try to deal with under the hood . Thanks for the response .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts