Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can You Diagnose this Starting Problem?

I have an intermittent no start problem on my 92 F250 4X4. 351W, 4EOD.

Here's the story:
The starter turns over strong. When I use the truck daily, it usually starts right up. If it sits for a week, it might not. After I walk away for a time, then it will. Past weekend, I couldn't get it to start at all for two days. I replaced the EEC relay, no change. We got it to the shop and - don't you know - it started up just fine.

The clue:
When the truck starts normally, key on/starter not engaged, produces a hum (I think it's the fuel pump?) which stops after a few seconds.

When it refuses to start, the "key on" hum doesn't stop. I'm thinking this piece of evidence is important, but I don't know what it means.

Frustrating.... especially since I'm planning a desert camping trip and don't want to get stranded.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
fuel pressure tests are needed. sounds like a fuel pump problem.

thanks - we'll see...

Is there a way to diagnose this when truck is starting/running OK? Must it be in a no start condition?

blacksnapon

Staff member
The first step in Fords diagnostic procedures is "Verify symptom". If its not doing it, it's going to be difficult to find it.

Ford Truck Articles