Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

08 F550 Regen Problem

Wow, havent been on here in a while!

Anyways, having a problem with my tow truck..

2008 F550 (Flatbed/Ramp Truck) 6.4L PSD 125k miles.

This truck has had a problem with regen for a little over a year now. It LOVES to say "Drive to clean exhaust", generally i'll see that when its a cold start.

Today, had to do a post office tow, 45 miles round trip, mainly highway driving.. smoked horribly when i left the PO and stopped just before the highway, didn't smoke again until I got back to the PO.. unloaded the trucks, shut the truck off to go inside and then started it up and left.. on my way back to the shop it smoked almost the entire way, about 5 miles.. even though it was smoking i didnt see any Regen messages..

This truck JUST came back from the dealer after it went into a reduced power mode, then died and woldnt restart.. dealer replaced 2/4/6/8 injectors, fan clutch and i believe one or two of the EGRT sensors.. they say they did multiple manual regens to the truck... they also said the oil level was too high, not sure if that means fuel getting into oil or something about regen wont work right with a little too much oil (told us to only put 13qts in the motor from now on and change every 3k miles)

I did a manual regen on the truck about a month ago, and it seemed to have helped it for a short time, but now its actually worse..

not quite sure where to go from here with the truck.. it seems that its building full boost, gauge goes to about 22-25 psi when your really on it

ANY suggestions?

LOL, I figured I'd have a better chance of finding an answer on here that FTE.. still remember you guys! Just havent had my Flareside on the road since sept 09 lol

Anyways, just because, heres a pic of the truck in question

2013-02-04_17-46-36_702_zps99d6af49.jpg

blacksnapon

Staff member
Something just isn't right. If you're gaining oil, its either an internal fuel leak or excessive regens. You should be close to 38 psi of boost under a load at WOT. So, you're a little short there too. You can look with the IDS at injector fuel trims to see what the pcm is commanding each injector to do. Much, much more diagnostics is needed. If you're telling someone to only put 13 quarts in the engine, there's a lot more to the story that isn't being told.

the RO with the codes is at the shop, I can get the codes and post them here.. I know they replaced some injectors, they also told us NOT to let it idle too much, which is pretty hard if your sitting at an accident, like sat night sitting at a scene for 2 and half hours waiting for a building inspector and possibly needing a rotator.. yay..

They told us there is 7500 hours on the engine, which I guess is equivalent to 250k miles? (or 125k + the 125 on the truck?)

But @blacksnapon , i was hoping you'd reply to this! I know you have quite a bit of expierience with the Fords! So thank you lol.

I was guessing turbo PSI by the gauge, which isnt really accurate.. it was right about half, and sometimes more.. could a bad, or going turbo, cause this issue too?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Down low, front of the truck, driver side, the cac hose goes into the intercooler. Pull the hose loose there. There shouldn't be anything in there but air (a very small bit of oil is acceptable). If theres a lot of oil in there, your turbo is going bad. Excessive oil there will result in regens and smoking. Possibly even plugging up your DPF.

Down low, front of the truck, driver side, the cac hose goes into the intercooler. Pull the hose loose there. There shouldn't be anything in there but air (a very small bit of oil is acceptable). If theres a lot of oil in there, your turbo is going bad. Excessive oil there will result in regens and smoking. Possibly even plugging up your DPF.

Thats what I planned on checking when I get to work lol, air filter box can do the same thing cant it? if its going bad?.. this truck has just been a nightmare lately..

another question.. could it be possible it will regen for a bit cause it was getting pretty crappy before it died?...

when the truck is warmed up and been running for a while, it doesn't smoke

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thats what I planned on checking when I get to work lol, air filter box can do the same thing cant it? if its going bad?.. this truck has just been a nightmare lately..

another question.. could it be possible it will regen for a bit cause it was getting pretty crappy before it died?...

when the truck is warmed up and been running for a while, it doesn't smoke
The cac is after the filter box, pulling the hose is checking for an oil leak inside of the turbo. They can loose 20% of the power under regen. When they warm up, everything expands, and that can close off a leak. Idling on a diesel develops minimal heat, thats why excessive idling really causes problems on a 6.0 and a 6.4. My suggestion, use a throttle control when sitting to raise engine speed.

these actually idle up on there own after sitting for a bit (i believe mainly when its cold out).. we could turn the PTO on to idle up, but that will keep the pump on too.. hmm, well i'll have something to do when i get to the shop now!

And if you were wondering, no, i'm no longer working for the dealer lol.. that actually just ended 2 weeks ago

Codes p0480 p0578 p200e p252f.... they found num 2 inj stuck wide open..6 and 8 spiked while monitoring...replaced 2/4/6/8 inj's, replaced all 3 egrt sensors (found out of range due to raw fuel being dumped in)

Thats what the RO says

blacksnapon

Staff member
Codes p0480 p0578 p200e p252f.... they found num 2 inj stuck wide open..6 and 8 spiked while monitoring...replaced 2/4/6/8 inj's, replaced all 3 egrt sensors (found out of range due to raw fuel being dumped in)

Thats what the RO says
po480....fan 1 control circuit---po578...cruise control multi function input a circuit stuck---p200e...catalyst system overtemp (bank 1) (this is why they replaced the temp sensors, but it only affects the last 2) (replacing them still didnt fix what was causing the overtemp though)----p252f... engine oil level too high. I would look at #2 cylinder (compression), and the turbo.

Put a new DPF in yesterday, drove awesome all last night after putting it in.. drove it today, fine all morning, drove 45 miles double loadd no problems.. as soon as I unloaded and headed back to the yard, smoke, heavy smoke too..

its back at the dealer now.. there saying its fuel cooler isn't working right?.. and now loss of power in cyl 2, possible rings? sounds like it needs a motor if you ask me, don't know why they didn't see the cooler thing before... they told us they did the turbo test and egr test and both were fine (when it was there a week ago)

Its still at the dealer right now, obviously since "Nemo" just dumped a ton of snow on us.. been in our Hino all weekend.. not a fan of foreign cars/trucks, but for a toyota that's warrantied til 250k, its a pretty nice rig lol

Anyways.. i guess the fuel cooler makes some sort of sense since int smoked after it got really hot.. when they got it up to the dealer which is about 60 miles away, it was smoking badddddd, i have a picture i'll upload in a bit

Welp, we got the truck back with the new fuel cooler in it.. made no difference..

Mechanic at York who i use to work with told us he has seen a similar problem, and the issue was a valve sticking in the HPFP.. he also told us to pull the inlet tube off of the turbo(s), which I did, was dry, and some soot, wasn't jet black.. not too sure what i'd be looking for.. air filter was also clean and dry.. and CAC tube dry

well.. havent been on here in a while.. truck was fixed! haha.. was the converter before the DPF..

since then.. truck blew up, shot a glowplug out, dumped oil everywhere.. sold truck, bought a new one lol

Ford Truck Articles