Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.1

Superduty Gen.1 1999-2007 F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 08-07-2015, 05:21 PM

Blacktruckdave is on a distinguished road
Cat to Manifold Flange bolts

So I am into changing my passenger side manifold. I cannot for the life of me get a socket and ratchet on the upper bolt. Tried a variety of diff length sockets and 3/8 and 1/2" drives. nothing goes on strait. I thought about just cutting the bolts and replacing them but how would I tighten the upper one to torq or at the very least snug it up? This has me totally stumped and is holding me up from tackling the manifold. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 05:47 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
I bent an open end wrench with a torch to get to mine. One click at a time.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:57 PM

lol genius ... how bout the reinstall tho? I'm thinking about cutting the top bolt and replacing it...bottom came off with some heat on the nut and some muscle power
Old 08-07-2015, 07:21 PM

no way I could get an open end wrench on that....I cut the tip off the stud and used a shorter socket so I could get the ratchet on and same as before there is almost zero clearence....can't get a socket on strait and I also tried different ratchets..just busted my knuckle and now its getting cut off with the saws all.....I'll get it out of the manifold when I get it off. Question is how am I going to reinstall this now when I get new studs and bolts? is there a special width ratchet and custom size socket? this is the only bolt that you can't get a strait shot at because the cat is in the way.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
I had the cat off mine when I did it. It's in a van, so I have even less room.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:38 PM

the flange on mine I couldn't even get a wrench on...I cut the stud on the top...found a crack in the manifold so it doesn't matter..just wondering how I am gonna get it back together there...drivers side is much easier access
Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
removing the inner fenders help out a lot on getting to the bolts. the only one i ever had a problem getting to was the lower bolt that sat both behind the shock tower and above the cross member. but managed to do it with a universal and deep socket on the end on mine.. after that it was my extensions to get the wrench on it. but downside was it took one person to hold the socket on and another to turn the ratchet.. at least thats for the manifold to head bolts.. saw the topic said cat to manifold bolt but looked more like you were asking about the manifold to head bolts

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 08-08-2015, 12:14 PM

thank you but I am in fact referring to the Cat/muffler to manifold flange bolts. I already have the manifold off and the inner wheel well lining. The top bolt above the catalytic converter is the hardest to get at. If I put a deep socket on it( because of the length of the stud) I can't get the ratchet on strait and if I put the socket on the ratchet first , the way the cat is shaped won't allow me to get seated correctly on the nut and it wants to start stripping it.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
and cant do the socket with a universal to get around the cat?

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 PM

Yup that worked...thanks