Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Off-Road

Old 01-21-2014, 10:05 AM
shademt

shademt is on a distinguished road
F-250 project

Ford f-250 super duty 5.4L
Soon as this weather breaks i'm going to start upgrading this truck...So i'm open to ideas. I really only know enough about this stuff to be slightly dangerous ..lol

Not
really interested in mudding, but i do get into some pretty serious snow conditions. Iv'e pushed snow with the bumper of this truck often. I also pull a 29' camper....so?

First on the agenda is a new paint job. (same color)....new tires and wheels and a lift. (open to ideas here) but i'm thinking either 4" or 6" . This truck already sits higher than most other F-250's why? don't know.

Next is to change the gear ratio...again open to suggestions. But i will say i'm tired of the auto trans shifting up and down...the word dog comes to mind when pulling a hill.

So if i run 18" rims should i run 35" tires...and should i go 4" or 6" lift? .... should i change to a 4.56? or a 4.88 gear ratio? i'm curious if any gains in pulling power is going to be offset by larger tires if i stick with 4.56's

So i'm open to all ideas opinions....I not only want this thing to look good, but also preform well..After the initial upgrades we'll start on the engine mods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S4021109.JPG (892.1 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 AM
shademt

should also mention this will not be an every day drive truck, not to concerned about mpg.

I owe nothing on this truck i've put 275,000 miles on it and never had the motor apart, still doesn't use a drop of oil..has been used hard yet still has good compression.. But a rebuild is somewhere down the road.

I figure i can pump 15,000.00 in this truck and end up with a whole lot more truck than if i'd go buy another used one.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
$15,000, ya, you won't even have the same truck!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM
shademt

Roy

Started pricing out parts... it's a pretty good chunk of change just getting the thing up in the air a little higher...wheels, set of tires and a good suspension lift.

i'm looking for advice on the lift...and the change in gear ratio...many of you guy's know more about this stuff than i do.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 PM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
A good suspension is worth every penny! First, it will have everything you need to do it right, unlike those cheap kits that you will still have to get many items, ie. brackets, bolts,etc. which is usually a big drag to track down. And the quality will be way better. Same goes for the wheels, stay away from el cheapo grade aluminum, will most likely crack and fail. For changing the rear end gears, there is an RPM calculator (can't seem to find it right now for you, sorry) that you can use to determine the closest rpm's that the current stock motor is at with the tire size on it now. When you go larger tires, you want to match the power band, and by changing the gears, you will compensate for the larger diameter tires without bogging. Usually if you only go up 2 sizes, you don't have to worry. Also, if the suspension kit doesn't offer shocks, you will need to get ones to match the lift, never use shock extenders! and brackets suck, JMO. I've had a skyjacker 4" lift on a 4x4, and a Belltech drop on a sport truck. The first I did myself since it was a swap of the springs, easy. The drop I had done because of the c-notch . You will need an alignment after. Changing the suspension puts a huge smile on your face!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:20 PM

oh, and a new cat back exhaust will be a must!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 PM

tjcustomranger has a spectacular aura abouttjcustomranger has a spectacular aura about
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

1976 F-150 4WD 4 inch lift
35x15.5x15 super swamper tsl sx
360 with eddie performer and holley 4bbl
Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 PM

Thanks Tyler!!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
shademt

thanks for the info Tyler. Was a big help.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
shademt

AmKatt1

How do you like the skyjacker kit ? I was looking at them also considering my F-250 has leafs front and rear...They holding up good? any sag? ride ect..Was looking at mine..250 SD off road....It sure looks like it already has 4" blocks in the rear...If they aren't 4" there awful dog-gone close....will i get a solid 4" more height with the skyjacker leafs?