Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Off-Road

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

UNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond repute
Here are the parts I scored thanks to Cheeto. I paid $300 for it all shipped to my door. So I'm currently at $600 total. Which is pretty good because this is the point where I'd be buying aftermarket/upgraded parts for it even if the axle was complete from lockout to lockout. So you might say I paid $600 for a complete D60.

The caliper brackets appear to be of the later vintage, which is what I would rather have. Plus I plan on getting new later model calipers to match the brackets. Every wear item that can be replaced will be replaced before it goes under the truck.

The hubs have the larger later model wheel studs so new lug nuts will have to be used.

....and the boring open diff.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Do I really need to reply to this thread? I have been fishing, drinking and then cleaning fish, followed by more drinking. Not exactly in that order.

1979 F250 4X4, far from stock
2005 F250 6.0, stock ...........I swear.
2008 Expedition Limited 4x4,Loaded, The wife's rig
2004 Lincoln Town Car, my plush work ride

Last edited by UNRULEE; 03-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 12:25 AM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

UNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond repute
Well got some more parts...........35 spline Warn Premium lockouts, spindle bearings, king pin rebuild kits, and updated wheel bearing nuts.

I plan on getting the knuckles put back on with the k-pin kits this weekend, and maybe pull the carrier out.

Thinking about paiting the calipers and caliper brackets? Any opinions on color???
Quote:
Do I really need to reply to this thread? I have been fishing, drinking and then cleaning fish, followed by more drinking. Not exactly in that order.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 AM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good Lee...and black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice Lee...I missed that you had scored parts from cheet-ho. You got a time frame on this thing yet?

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
You got a time frame on this thing yet?
Too hard to say, the house building is going to start soon and I really want to buy a 5th wheel camper.

Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have a locked up, geared down monster in a nice new garage!!!
Quote:

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

Got some work done today, the knuckles are back on.

Removing the knuckles is fairly easy. Remove the tie rod, pull the four bolts out of the top cap, remove the cap, spring, spring retainer and nylon bushing. Pull the four bolts out of the lower cap, beat the snot out of the cap to free it up, wedge screw drivers, chisels and what ever is handy and get the cap to pop out. Remove knuckle. (Sorry no pics, I tore it down when I got it and forgot to snap some pics)

On to the king pin rebuild.....................................

I brought home a large portion of the tools I keep at work, and the Super Duty lent his tailgate to the cause of getting his younger brother a front D60.

These are the new parts, for one side.

Plus these, one side again. They are studs for the mounting of the spindles and caliper brackets.

The old studs came out with a couple of raps with the hammer.

Hit the face of the knuckle with the wire wheel to remove any rust. Then beat the new studs in from the backside.

The upper "pins" looked fine, didn't see any need to battle them.

Went on to beating the lower bearing races out. Just pound on the edge of the cover inside of the bore, from side to side.

That'll leave you with a empty bearing housing. Clean all of the old dried grease and junk out with a screwdriver. Hang on to that race, it'll be usefull later.

Once it's cleaned out the new parts can go in. Start with the bearing cover.

Then position the race....

..and hammer it in with something appropriate. Brass drift, etc.

Place the bearing that you've packed with grease inside the race.

Remember the race I saved? Comes in handy for this.

Works as an excellent driver for that seal.

Now you can install the rubber seal on the top "pin". Sorry, no pic. Then slip the knuckle back on and re-install the lower cap with the new bolts. Make sure to see if the zerk will take grease and it (the grease) isn't hardened in the passage that the zerk screws into. Then onto the topside...............

Here's what you'll be looking at.

Grab the nylon bushing and note that there is a notch on the outside of it. The bore where it sits has a grove for that notch. Lightly grease the bushing, then you know what to do.

Bolt the new cap (or steering arm), and gasket on with the new spring and spring retainer onto the top of the knuckle. Grease the top and bottom zerks (they take a lot), and stand back and enjoy your rebuilt steering knuckle! Get the other side done. re-install the tie rod and you're done.

You may be looking at that last pic and wondering why I didn't put a steering arm on one side. I have yet to constuct my x-over steering set up, so I just bolted the new cap on for the meantime.
Quote:

Last edited by UNRULEE; 04-18-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Cool write up and pics Lee..thanks for posting this!
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:

Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice Lee. You have to be itching to get that thing underneath yuor truck now.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

Did a little painting this morning. Caliper brackets. I didn't want black, but I didn't want the flashy yellow or red. Went with something with less contrast.
The calipers (once I get them) will match.

Closer look.
Quote:

Last edited by UNRULEE; 04-25-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:01 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

Looking good Lee!. You planning on selling the original 44?
Quote:
Quote: