Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Off-Road

Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

UNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond repute
UNRULEE'S Dana 60 Build

So I finally have in my possession a 78-79 Dana 60 for the front end of my '79!!!

...but there's a catch though, while my buddy had it stored someone plucked everything from the knuckles out (hubs, spindles, lockouts, brakes, rotors, etc.), plus they grabbed the axleshafts.

I ended up getting what was left for $300, pretty decent price IMO.

That being said my question is what year, make and parts from other front Dana 60's will help get this thing back to running order?

Will a later (easier to find) model 80's-97 D60 have most of the swappable parts? The only problem I see with that is the hubs on those trucks have larger diameter wheel studs.........

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

EDIT - I'm thinking that the brakes from the hd44 that's under the truck right now are the same, anyone know for sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Do I really need to reply to this thread? I have been fishing, drinking and then cleaning fish, followed by more drinking. Not exactly in that order.

1979 F250 4X4, far from stock
2005 F250 6.0, stock ...........I swear.
2008 Expedition Limited 4x4,Loaded, The wife's rig
2004 Lincoln Town Car, my plush work ride

Last edited by UNRULEE; 02-21-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
That thing looks super clean, Lee

Old 02-21-2010, 02:02 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Cool find Lee!...I don't know what years will/will not interchange though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM

money_pit is on a distinguished road
Yes, the brakes and rotors are the same. Hubs are the same on the later king pin axles so are the spindles. The axles won't work though. The caliper brackets probably won't be easy to find. $300 is a good price. What gear ratio does it have ?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:41 PM
ICU812

crazyredneckanyhow is just really nicecrazyredneckanyhow is just really nicecrazyredneckanyhow is just really nicecrazyredneckanyhow is just really nice
By lookin at my 79 and my 89 the brakes are different. But if you have the entire setup off of either itll work. This guy has a couple pieces you might need. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870031
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
probably like $75. Cheeto's bargaining abilities would make a jewish hostage negotiator jealous.
www.oldfordcrewcabs.com
Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

UNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond reputeUNRULEE has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_pit View Post
Yes, the brakes and rotors are the same. Hubs are the same on the later king pin axles so are the spindles. The axles won't work though. The caliper brackets probably won't be easy to find. $300 is a good price. What gear ratio does it have ?
Thanks for the info. It has 3.54's in it. They match what's in the truck now. But before the 60 goes in it'll have 4.56's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow View Post
By lookin at my 79 and my 89 the brakes are different. But if you have the entire setup off of either itll work. This guy has a couple pieces you might need. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870031
I hear that the later style is better, not sure why??? I'll use whatever I can find.

Thanks for the link Cheeto!
Quote:
Do I really need to reply to this thread? I have been fishing, drinking and then cleaning fish, followed by more drinking. Not exactly in that order.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 AM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
Lee ,if you were closer I'd buy the 3.54's from you. I don't like these 4.11's with the small tires.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

Well thanks to Cheeto I have some hubs, spindles and caliper brackets on the way from Cheeseheadland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m78 View Post
Lee ,if you were closer I'd buy the 3.54's from you. I don't like these 4.11's with the small tires.
Sooooooo get larger tires, duh.
Quote:

Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
^LARGE carbon footprint^

So I thought I should turn this into my D60 build thread. Maybe the higher powers can change the thread title to "UNRULEE's D60 build", rather than start a new thread?

Wire wheeled, also pictured is the garage fuel!

Pulled the knuckles, and tie rod off. Same wire wheel treatment.

Then the POR15 bath.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Country Boys Can Survive

1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good Lee.
86 F-250 HD 4x4
79 Bronco