Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.1

Superduty Gen.1 1999-2007 F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 08-07-2015, 11:15 AM

billpool is on a distinguished road
Smaller alt pulley?

I'm trying to find a smaller alternator pulley for my 1999 F250 SD V10. I've
previously added a 250 Amp Alternator to handle the starting battery and the 2
AGM batteries I had cabled to the start bat. Turns out now the alternator is
only charging 12.5 at idle but as soon as I bring it up off idle it starts putting
out 14.5amps.

My alternator pulley is presently 59mm 8groove. Anyone have any ideas where
I might be able to get a 55mm or 56mm 8 grove pulley?

Thanks
Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I was always under the impression that the alternator didn't start doing it's job until the rpms were higher than idle speed, at which point the voltage would increase from 12.5v to 14.5v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 AM

watsonr is on a distinguished road
changing the pulley from 58-56mm isn't going to get anything extra for you. My recommendation is to clean the negative ground attachment at the passenger battery where it goes to the block. Drivers side, clean the negative ground at the frame coming off the battery and run a cable from the negative ground drivers side frame to the block. Then add a cable from the alternators positive terminal to passenger battery positive post.

That should get you to 13+v.
Current flows from negative to positive, you need a good ground to start from and a cable to handle the increased flow. Go to Napa and have them make the cables using 2/0 cable and a tin connection lug. Add the ones I mentioned and your truck will thank you.

2004 F350 Harley CC SRW H11 studs, EGR delete, AirDog II, Blue spring, Cable upgrade, 4" MBRP straight pipe, SCT with Gearhead tunes, PHP FICM tuner, idle mod, remote start, 200* stat, 6G 140amp, red ELC, 2" leveling kit, Torque and SGII. My preferred additive you ask.... OPTI-LUBE!!