Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Boat

Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky83 View Post
yup thats what i meant.. finger dyslexia struck again lol..

wouldnt bolt up even if it was an inline ford??
Nope. Chebby and Ford bolt pattern different.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
Nope. Chebby and Ford bolt pattern different.
Darn

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 07-29-2015, 06:28 AM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
Mercruiser never used Ford engines, except for the 7.3l d-tronic. I had a straight 6 years ago and a guy at an auto parts store found me a carb gasket kit from a IH tractor that fit it. Cost $8 compared to the $110 at the marina.
There's a a few differences in the marine block and the auto block, that help with reducing corrosion like freeze plugs, pump impellers and most of the gaskets. Also CG approved spark arresting distributor, starter and alternator.
And of course , air breather.

The dryer vents are for a blower to remove gas fumes that can accumulate in the bottom of the bilge, and the other would be hooked to an air scoop on deck to force air in the bilge while moving.

I had to watch a lot of YouTube to learn how to do the fiberglass and resin. Lots of videos that help tremendously. The theory is that fiberglass is not water proof but the resin is. If the glass is sealed with extra resin after the glass is laid , it should be dry. There's also 2 types of resin to consider, epoxy and polyester. Epoxy is better but way more expensive.
Gelcoat is basically that waterproofing coat. A lot of manufacturers are gelcoating the inside so water dosnt get into the wood now. Theres also a pour-able compound for doing transoms instead of replacing the old wood with new. "seacast" is one of them. There's also several types of marine plywood that can be used .
I've been reading up on this because my transoms damp and one stringer is got rot and it wont be long till it'll need replacing.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of guys around here are using Trex deck boards as stringers under the decks now
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...anuyQ_C9NtYK4Q
They do not rot, and hold up well. this and marine grade plywood under the fiberglass deck hold up well
Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
The 1" marine grade plywood is put in there for support and to strengthen the hull.
Trex has no strength. Just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Josh also needs to know, and just in case he doesn't all ready, that the air filter needs to meet USCG requirements and that the one in an earlier pics does so appear to do that. Common sense item, backfire in a boat, no fire need ignite.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 07-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Fire in the hole...

nobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, I did notice that this one is stamped USCG approved. That's a good tip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - CPT Parker - April 19th, 1775, Lexington
Old 07-30-2015, 07:48 AM
Fire in the hole...

nobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond repute
What is trex? I was considering that synthetic lumber that people build decks out of that lasts forever. Is that the same stuff?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - CPT Parker - April 19th, 1775, Lexington
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Trex is a composite (plastic) plank material used on residential decks. The benefit is that it doesn't rot or need to be forever refinished like wood. I'm not sure if it is equally strong as wood.

Marine grade plywood is always an option. As would be using more trex for strength. I looked at the pic of that plywood on the lower side of the boat; I don't know exactly how to fix that one if the plywood is embedded into the hull.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM
Fire in the hole...

It isn't embedded, it was put in and then given a light fiberglass coating. I think I will be able to strip down to bare hull.

Last edited by nobodyspecial; 07-30-2015 at 10:55 AM.