Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Is Best Shifting/Driving RPM's For 4 Speed?

So I put a Tachometer on the truck, and have the idle set to around 600 to 700 but wondering what the best or correct RPM range is for shifting through each gear and driving? The Edlebrock roller timing chain I put in can handle up to 6000 but I know the engine probably can not. Been seeing it at 3000ish when on interstate hauling ass.

Right now I am seeing around the following:

Idle: 600 - 700
1st: 1000 - 1500
2nd: 1500 - 2000
3rd: 2000 - 2500
4th: 2500 - 3000

Hitting above 60MPH: pushing up to 3500 while accelerating.

So I am looking for some accurate numbers, and how close I am.

Oh, and forgot to mention: engine is 360 5.9L, transmission is the 4 speed (1st low granny gear), has 600 cfm edlebrock carb, edlebrock roller timing chain and sprockets, and just did top end (cleaning, gaskets, and seals).

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It's been a long time since I've driven a standard, but I never really looked at the rpm's as a gauge to shift....I always heard/felt when it was time.

Fellro

Staff member
I rarely have had a tach with a manual, and when I do I don't pay attention.... Typically 3500-4000 is commonly when I would be shifting. Pulling a trailer or such I shift a little later. You can tell by how it feels on the next gear, if it is too soon, it will dog down and feel like you just loaded it up. Too late and it seems like the gear is already half used up.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks for comments. I have been shifting to 3rd at 30, 4th at 40, I usually just start off in 2nd unless on incline. I have been making some slight carb and distributor adjustments for a random misfire/back fire (still trying to figure that out, going to check for crossfiring on plug wires, also thinking a worn piston ring), and noticed both an RPM change and power change when driving and shifting (mostly when idle screws are adjusted, which is odd, in more power and higher RPM when shifting, out less power and lower RPM when shifting).

Some things I have read elsewhere said that 2000 to 2500 is a standard shifting RPM regardless of what gear is being shifted.

I know things are going good when I can almost start off in 4th on flat ground.

I'll keep playing with it and make some updated notes.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
With the granny 4 Speeds , you can easily take off in second gear, I had a 77 F-350 dually with a 10 foot flatbed with a 351M engine with an NP 435 stump puller 4 Speed transmission, and I was able to take off in second gear on the flat, inclines, mud, snow and wet grass, and I also had a low speed rear end in that truck, and I VERY RARELY used first gear, unless I couldn't use second gear. And I never had a tachometer in that truck all I used was my ears and speedometer to determine my shift points.smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogosmiliegitrdonesmiliegitrdone

... I was able to take off in second gear on the flat, inclines, mud, snow and wet grass, and I also had a low speed rear end in that truck, and I VERY RARELY used first gear, unless I couldn't use second gear. And I never had a tachometer in that truck all I used was my ears and speedometer to determine my shift points ...

That sounds about right, and is matching what works well, when working.

I rarely have had a tach with a manual, and when I do I don't pay attention.... Typically 3500-4000 is commonly when I would be shifting. Pulling a trailer or such I shift a little later. You can tell by how it feels on the next gear, if it is too soon, it will dog down and feel like you just loaded it up. Too late and it seems like the gear is already half used up.

This sounds right as well, except that 3500 and 4000 sounds like the engine is going to explode, but perhaps I am just not use to it.

Somehow, this Edlebrock carb is affecting all this, and been reading allot about those carbs causing some problems during WOT, like giving out at close to 3000rpm in 4th gear, especially up an incline. Trying a more lean setting and see how that works tomorrow. Also heard about choke grounding needing to be earthed, and vacuum advance on ported side causes problems (so I heard), so doing some experiments. Anyway, all related to RPMs and shifting, unfortunately...

Fellro

Staff member
I may be a bit high on the numbers, but I commonly tow as well. Shift too early and you risk lugging it. Automatic stalls are commonly 2000-2500 for street performance. That is when the converter engages, not so much when it is shifting the transmission. 2000-2500 is most definitely too low, at least let it get over 3000

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Most of the factory figures are below 1700 Roger, I got that from the Ford specs book. I know when I had any of my older trucks I had the rpm's at around 22-2500 at highway speed.
The one truck I had with 4.10's and 30 tires ran around 3000 at highway speed.

Thanks again for responses. Yep, seems like around 3000RPM is best at least. Only issue still having is between 3rd and 4th. RPM drops fast and slugs on first go in 4th especially on hills then picks up, 2nd and 3rd do fine. Did this test with 1 ton of crap in the back as well, so I am getting everything set fairly well.

The settings still have something to do with carb (so lean/rich adjustments), and fixed previous misfire problem, was distributor, again (fourth distributor, points burned out).

So now I am working on getting the switch from 3rd to 4th right so the RPM's dont drop from above 3000 to 2000 too fast.

Update numbers I am seeing now (around):

Idle: 700 to 900
Granny: up to 2000 -2500 ?
2nd: 2000 to 4000
3rd: 3000 to 4000
4th: 3000 to 4000 (drops fast though when switching to 4th)

Carb accelerator pump at top notch, choke on rich.

Fellro

Staff member
I do have a tach in my 88 with a 351W in it, and with the trailer I was shifting generally at 3500. You want the next gear to come in at or slightly above the bottom of the powerband, at about 2000. Now, when you go from 3rd to 4th on yours, it will not always be that way, as you are also having to make it stay at a certain speed.

Fellro

Staff member
Most of the factory figures are below 1700 Roger, I got that from the Ford specs book. I know when I had any of my older trucks I had the rpm's at around 22-2500 at highway speed.
The one truck I had with 4.10's and 30 tires ran around 3000 at highway speed.

I was referring to aftermarket performance stall converters... Factory is definitely always below 2000...

Ford Truck Articles