Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A little project

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I use battery tenders on everything I own, the 350 being no exception, especially being that it might sit for a week or two without being driven.

I've just popped the hood and put the alligator clips on the battery and gently put the hood down...I did try using the adapter that they give you with the Tender, but it was too short and I've not had time to extend it.

I did that today...extended the cable and mounted the socket to the tow hook with some tie wraps.

Getting a rough cable length

DSCF3975.JPG

Original with the clips

DSCF3976.JPG

Snipped off

DSCF3977.JPG

Extended and ready to install

DSCF3981.JPG

Everything loomed and tie wrapped

DSCF3982.JPG

Ran it down in front of the rad support and out the frame rail

DSCF3983.JPG

DSCF3984.JPG

Much easier...

DSCF3985.JPG

DSCF3986.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I did ask that Randy as soon I plugged it in without lifting the hood....:rofl: :rofl:
And thanks!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Very nice, Duncan. Where do you find tie wraps that don't get so brittle in wintertime?

Parts Express of all places...UV stabilized and USA made...they hold up well.

nice work Duncan! (of course, you're an electrician)

you even used shrink tubing instead of tape :)

Thanks Roy and tape does minimal for waterproofing....there is self vulcanizing rubber tape, but it is a PITA to work with on small stuff.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Cool Duncan....with my limited knowledge of these things, do you think that's something I can do and if so, do you have basic instructions? Can I get parts at a local hardware store?

It's a pain in the ars for me also, especially my dent....I'd like to unplug and hop in and take off instead of popping the hood everytime. Although it would mainly be for Spring and Fall when it gets used less and less.....usually all summer, I just park it in the garage and use it at will.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It really depends on what the individuals abilities are...most people will not do what I do as it's too involved (not trying to sound pompous).

Most of the parts need to be bought through a supply house....heat shrink with adhesive, proper sized crimpers with correct dies etc.

A much easier way would be to use the factory ends and order a longer cord and simply tie wrap up the excess in a hidden spot.

http://batterytender.com/products/accessories/12-ft-extension-lead.html

If you want, I can make you one up if you give me lengths.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It really depends on what the individuals abilities are...most people will not do what I do as it's too involved (not trying to sound pompous).

Most of the parts need to be bought through a supply house....heat shrink with adhesive, proper sized crimpers with correct dies etc.

A much easier way would be to use the factory ends and order a longer cord and simply tie wrap up the excess in a hidden spot.

http://batterytender.com/products/accessories/12-ft-extension-lead.html

If you want, I can make you one up if you give me lengths.

Duncan thanks! I'm going to buy the Deltran extensions and just wrap it up under the truck somewhere and tie it to where I can easily reach it to plug it in.

Man, glad you started this thread.....for every problem, lies a solution!

This will help the pain in the ars of opening and closing the hood on both of the 77 and 79.

rambler

New Shoes......
looks great,, I have thought about getting those solar charger battery buddies they have at Harbor Freight,,, just as it also sits outside a lot..

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I have battery tender hook ups wired in on my bike, I love that little thing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I would like to see your definitive list of the best items to spend $25 on. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Aw, at least I tried.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Duncan, I was jealous of home made lead and did this with the one that came with my tender temporarily so I can start not having to open my hood just to plug it in. :wasntme:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
These came in yesterday and maybe this weekend, I'll have a chance to tie it to the chrome hooks or some other place underneath the rig so it won't stick out.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I would like to do this also, but some of our vehicles stay parked in the street. :( Might have to call the city and see if I can put up a couple outlets along the sidewalk. :wasntme:

Ford Truck Articles