Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starter for 5.0 Engine & Tranny Swap

I am swapping out stock engine and trans on my 48 Ford F1. I replaced with a 92 Ford 5.0 and used a C4 trans and bellhousing from mid 70s. My question is with the starter. Do I use the mid 70s starter or a 5.0 starter from the from 92? I did switch out the flex plate to a 92. I hear that the 90's era starters are designed separate for for auto or manual trans. The reason I ask is because of the 70's era bellhousing where the starter is mounted that is being used.

Since you have a 92 flexplate, as you should on a later version with the 50 oz balance 5.0 engine, I would use a 92 auto trans starter. The starter mounting surface on the transmission will be the same, and you want to be sure you have the correct snout on the starter to match with the tooth location on the flexplate.

Thanks Wayne.
As an update, the starter that I was told would fit did not (snout too short). I was told that because of the 164 tooth flexplate that it must take the MT manual trans starter with the short snout, No Joy. Now I am rethinking if I must change the flexplate or bellhousing. I am using a 92 302 roller engine with a C4 trans. The trans and bellhousing are from the mid 70s and is a panfill style. The 164 flexplate did fit in the bellhousing. I also tried the old 9 tooth starter and it seemed to fit.

Another question; can a 164 tooth 50 oz AOD flexplate (which I now suspect mine is) be used on a C4 tranny?

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I had issues with a starter on my 86 F150 5.0 years ago. Same deal, starter nose was too short. The problem was with the rebuilder supplying them and not keeping AT and MT starters separate.

Ended taking it to NAPA here and laying it on the counter and one of the guys searched thru their starters to find one that was 1//4" longer in the snout. That made all the difference and that starter is still working today, but I also asked for their best quality starter. They sell a couple of different lines of electrical parts. Always ask for the best.

Ford Truck Articles