Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1971 Ford F100

Well I have bought my first classic. I have big plans for this guy, as hopefully it will be my sons first truck. I plan to post the build as I go.

My question is..... Does anyone know where the heck I can find a power steering conversion for it? I would prefer not to modify the steering column (if thats even possible). Its just down right tiring to crank that wheel with no hydro assist. I appreciate any information.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
IIRC, newer model power steering swaps over, i.e Dent side.

Unfortunately, you'll either have to shorten the stocker or swap in a shorter steering column.

IIRC, newer model power steering swaps over, i.e Dent side.

Unfortunately, you'll either have to shorten the stocker or swap in a shorter steering column.

So would a complete steering column/power steering unit from a 1974 be compatible with my 1971? I have access to a parts truck, its just a '74.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
OP failed to mention that he has a 1971 F100 4WD (see signature).

So, the OP cannot swap P/S in from a 2WD dentside without making a gazillion modifications.

F100 4WD not available with P/S until 1973 and thru 1975, it's Garrison Power Assist P/S.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles