Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to remove T50 Torx bolts to get bed off?

I'm trying to remove the T50 Torx bolts on a 99 F150 to get the bed off to replace the fuel pump. I've already broken 3 T50 Torx bits. When I turn the Torx bolt the nut under the chassis turns. When I put a socket or a box wrench on the nut and try to remove the Torx bolt either the bit snaps off or the corners of the nut get rounded off. I've even tried 6 point sockets and the corners of the nuts still get rounded off. There threads are somewhat rusted(I've seen worse) so I sprayed on a lot of PB Blaster, but that didn't help. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Welcome to FTF glad to have ya.
Sounds like you got a peach there the only things I could tell you that might work is if you have a torch heat that bolt up good and hot and let it cool of repeat this a few times also I have gotten off some really rusty bolts by doing it this way.
There is another way there is a type of spray called freeze off comes in a white can you spray it on the nut/bolts and it freeze the metal you could try this of a combo of the heating then spray the hot bolt with the freeze.
Or you could always grind the bolt off.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My Ranger is set up a bit differently, with welded nuts (sorta) on the frame.

I did have to use a torch on at least three of them, but never broke a bit fighting with it.

Only other suggestion would be to get an angle grinder and cut the tops off the bolts. You'll have to replace the bolts, of course, but if they're that rusted, you probably would anyway.

Ain't rust a pain?

Oh- and welcome to FTF!

I'd suggest dropping the tank as opposed to a top side attack.

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
i would try to heat it up if i were you. Maybe you could put some vise grips on the nut to try to hold it. If that doesn't work grind them suckers off and get some hex head bolts to replace them. Also i have never had much luck with those little hand held propane torches, but a real torch heats it up nice.

Last edited:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I had the same problem with mine when I did the Body lift. After 3 torx bits myself, I ground the heads off and then got new nuts and bolts.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have welded the bottom nuts fast then weled a few nuts to the top of the bolts inside the bed and they eithcer come loose or twist off. Easiest way I found to get them off unless you have a oxy/act troch to burn them off with.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Torch or grind thebad ones off .Or drill out top and punch bolt down trough.

I don't remove bed to work on tanks . Found out long ago that those 6/8 big bolts r usually way more pain than some strap bolts and scratched hands.
But u can clean frame while bed is off. As well as check everything easily.

Truck Bed Bolts

I was successful by soaking the six bed bolts underneath with blaster for 24 hours. I then went to Harbor Freight and purchased a T50 1/2 inch drive and used a huge breaker bar. I guess I was lucky, but every bolt came off clean.

First thing they are not Torx bits they are called torx plus bits they will break and strip the bolt almost ever time using torx bits! I have to double check the size I believe it's a tp-45 and you will see how much better it fits also used large vise grips and have a buddy hold just tell him to watch his knuckles when u engage the impact!! Beer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ford Truck Articles