Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thoughts? 1999 F-250 V10

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
This showed up on the local(read as 35 miles away :D) Ford dealer's lot.

Looks to be in really good shape considering the mileage (216,000). I am totally unfamiliar with V-10's, but I do know I don't want a diesel. Mileage is not a problem since my current F-250 460 gets 8 MPG on a good day. Any thoughts, words of wisdom, or smartass comments? :D

http://www.heberleford.com/used-inv...1XEC13746&index=20&count=36&offset=19&limit=1

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Those were the age that blew out spark plugs... Aside from that they are pretty solid I think. Fuel mileage will be about the same as your 460, power will be better as long as you're not afraid to let it spin up - they like high rpms.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Other than the spark plug issue, I never heard much bad about the V-10. Well, people say they like to wind way up high if you're pulling something heavy. Only a problem if it annoys you.

They're not a diesel...for better and worse.

I'm thinking a '99 was not a great automatic transmission, either. Not sure on details, but someone might know....or I could be off-base.

More generally, though- the thing is 17 years old and has 216k miles. No matter how great a truck it was (or wasn't) to begin with, how it's been treated over those years makes more difference than anything else.

Ford Truck Articles