Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My axle tags

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Just curious what these decipher too.

Front axle: 3 54 vE9TA LA
v610335-3

(Everywhere there is a v is actually an upside down triangle NOT the letter v)

Rear axle: 5808D
5588 0G17

And on the door tag under Axle: is the number 19

Whats all this break down to?

andym

Real men are fanatics

v610335-3

This means that you have a 3.54:1 front axle. E9TA is part of a ford part number. The v610335-3 is a Dana bill of materials number (BOM) that you can decode on Dana's web site. I don't have the link handy, but you can search for it and find it quickly.

5588 0G17

You missed a number in the second line. It's mostly covered by the bolt that holds the tag on. It means you have a 3.55:1 ratio and an 8.8" ring gear. The 0G17 is a build date code that I never bothered to memorize the format of.

Because of the lack of an L in between the 3 and the 55, it means you have an open carrier, i.e. no limited slip.

This means that you have a 3.55:1 ratio with an open carrier.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Hmm well that doesnt really tell me anything i didnt know already, but thanks for the breakdown.

v610335-3

5588 0G17

All I know is the "...E9..." part indicates a 89 model year axle

andym

Real men are fanatics
That means that was the last year the part was revised. It doesn't necessarily mean the part came from an 89 truck. Scott's truck is a 1990.

You can take apart a 91 truck and find parts on it with part numbers going back to 1987.

That means that was the last year the part was revised. It doesn't necessarily mean the part came from an 89 truck. Scott's truck is a 1990.

You can take apart a 91 truck and find parts on it with part numbers going back to 1987.

thats what I meant...I had the wife yelling at me while I was trying to type

so you guys got books for this stuff-reading tags and door codes?? or is it on the net??

andym

Real men are fanatics
Years of reading posts on that other site.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I was just, ya know, hoping maybe yall had gotten me an early birthday present and swapped in a Dana 60/70 setup while i wasnt looking...Guess not..

O well yall got a few more days to make it happen :D

Ford Truck Articles