Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

uh oh oil leak

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Left the truck home this rotation of work. After 3 weeks it left me a 6" plus oil stain. It's now leaving me 1" puddles each a night.

It's a 2005

I find it odd that it leaks with the truck off.

Ideas?

I wonder if I forgot to put the brass o ring on the drain bolt???

Is the main under oil level when sitting? I'm really hoping it's not that. What are the odds of Iit being up on top and it leaks all the time and runs down the back of the motor.

i havnt crawled under it yet (it's been HOT) but it appears to be running down the oil pan on the back or maybe the trans.

I'll crawl tomorrow. Any one have ideas on starting or key points to look.

Ps it's always had a Little oil on the pan, never dripped, but always damp with dust stuck on it since I've owned it.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Maybe your brass is worn out....

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
If its anything like what happened on mine id say ICP sensor.. theyre known for failing.. when it happened on mine i was loosing 3/4 qt of oil in 30 miles.. was also leaving a good sized puddle in a short amount of time too..

IMG-20140601-01102_zpsdcadb0c3.jpg

was the size puddle it left just while i was filling out the paperwork for the early drop off. but mine was more dripping off the block itself and the transmission bell housing..

I know the 6.0's had 2 different places for the sensor too.. some are on the back side of the engine.. youll find it under the up pipes/turbo.. others have it placed in the front side of the passenger side valve cover...

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I crawled under this morning, the leak is definitely from the oil drain plug. The crush washer could be toast. It seamed tight enough to me. I gave her a Lil more for good measure and I will replace at next oil change.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140719_081252.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Crush washers do go after some tine.. Sad thing is there's no exact intervul for replacing it

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
if its a crush gasket on drain plug replace every change.. Just a washer replace every 5 is my rule of thumb.. They're dirt cheap so why not?

What he said. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stuff my finger into a drain hole because of the leaking crush washer... And it's never with cold oil...

Fumoto Valve is the way to go. I have three of them on my truck 1 oil and 2 coolant drains

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think those things are a great idea.

I have a brass washer on my 03 that just started leaking. Going to try the value option. Any worries that the valve may get struck by objects?

Ford Truck Articles