Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 PM

fordgirl is on a distinguished road
VSS and Limp mode

1995 f150 5.8 259k

Twice now my tranny has gone into limp mode with OD flashing, code 452. Back in 1/2017 I had a similar issue but without this code and my speedo and odometer would blank out and tranny would go into limp mode. In the end I replaced the speed sensor before having to replace the cluster.

I plan to pull the speed sensor and clean it, but Iím looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2018, 05:54 PM

Well, I cleaned the sensor and it happened again right after. The next time NO flashing OD or code, could I have a tranny solenoid going out? Any way to test anything?
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
More likely a broken wire somewhere

Try looking at the connection first, then work over to the frame.
The wire has a habit of getting "caught" on things

pay special attention to rub marks around the shock
Old 06-29-2018, 05:51 PM

So it is happening about once a day now and I can hit the dash and it will start shifting again. Guess I need to check cluster and wiring back there.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:57 AM

So I tried to repair the circuit board and it still didn’t work so I shipped it out to clusterfix who responded saying that my board was programmed for a motor home speed sensor input and would never work on an F150....how would this have happened?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:16 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like someone before you hit a junk yard to repair your truck
Probably the same thing you will have to do.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Actually I’ve had the truck for 15 years and my dad had it before me, we’ve done all the work on it.

Any chance something could have fried the processor enough to alter it?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:31 PM
owned by Fords

Possible, I had a friend got a lightning bolt strike through his antenna. Fried the whole dash.
Doubt you wer so lucky

Could be the vendor just used that as an excuse

Junk yard shopping isn't too far fetched, you may find a clean dash set up with a set of gauges and a tach

Not sure how your state does the mileage thing, or if it's that important too you, if you are keeping the truck. You may find that the odometer is close to where your truck is now

If you do change, it would be a great time to upgrade all the bulbs to led in there, that way you will never have to pull it apart again
Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 PM

Yeah I was worried that it might have been an excuse to not get my core deposit...

They are actually giving me another board and flashing it to my mileage, I’m just worried that this might happen again.

Great idea with LEDs, I really don’t want to take any of this apart again!!

Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:23 AM
owned by Fords

Sounds like a good solution.
I doubt that you will have this problem again.
In the 6 90's trucks I have, none have ever had this problem. Not even the 2 diesel trucks

You should do a write up, and post it when it's done

Last edited by dustybumpers; 09-14-2018 at 06:26 AM.