Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Hobbies > 'Puters

'Puters Tech help! Hardware, Software... Truck guys can be geeks too.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Android phones

It is with great trepidation that I start this thread... Keep it positive and helpful. Or else.

For a variety of reasons, I'm considering switching to an Android for my next phone. (In the interest of positivity, I'll just say I'd prefer not to give my dollars to Apple this go-round and leave it at that.)

For other reasons, I'm really hesitant to switch. I'm generally pretty happy with the iPhone's user interface, it's been stable and reliable for the past couple years, and I love iMessage. I get virtually no cell service (from any carrier) where I live, but I do have fast WiFi. iMessage is the easiest way I'm aware of to communicate with most of my friends (nearly all iPhone users) when I'm at my house. This is not insignificant- it's a PITA to drive into town to make a 30 second phone call.

So:
-Are there any one-sided Android apps to allow me to recieve SMS text messages over Wifi? I realize there are many two-sided WiFi texting apps, but I am asking about ones that do NOT need anything installed on anybody else's phone. Verizon, or possibly ATT, would be the carrier.

-The only problems I've had with the iPhone are mediocre antenna strength (I spend a lot of time on the fringes of cellular service; far worse than most people believe exists in the US in 2014) and very weak phone speaker. What Android phones might improve these weak points, while maintaining strengths like a good camera, good touch-screen, all-day-plus battery life. Mil-spec would be a plus; I'm getting a little tired of using a Ziplock baggie when I'm motorcycling in the rain.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Oilfield Trash

mrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think your going to see a vast improvement in switching from iPhone to whatever. If your on the edge of signal, well, your on the edge of signal. The only thing that I know of fixes that is a cel phone booster.

As far as the ziplock bag, life proof, and be done with it, no matter what you buy. They work and work very well, my wife and I have tested all of the things they say it will protect against, and yep it sure does, from rain, to mud to continual drops against edges. (foot pegs ect.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Had to look that up, never really cared for that type of music.

Lester

08 F350 PSD Lariet, CC, LWB, 4X4, DRW, White
Stock

When Dodge and GM build something that will compete with the F450, we'll talk.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I figured. I don't care enough to get a booster...I just don't want to accidentally buy the one phone with a 10% weaker antenna.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 02-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Have you looked into the Casio Commando? Have friends that have it and they are all happy with it afaik. Waterproof, drop resistant, etc right out of the box.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 PM
FTF's #1 Knob Polisher

Austin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond repute
Ian, there are plenty of one sided text apps that use wifi signals. My grandmother uses one on her work phone to curve complaints from her boss.

As far as signal strength, let me get some info off of you first -

What model iPhone are you using?
What is your current carrier?

There are plenty of much-more capable devices out there today. Two devices you could look into are the Motorola Droid Maxx or the Samsung Galaxy S4
Everyone is my teacher. Some I seek. Some I subconsciously attract. Often I learn simply by observing others. Some may be completely unaware that I'm learning from them, yet I bow deeply in gratitude.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
My phone allows me to use WiFi for calling, so I can't imagine it would be a big leap to have it do SMS messages either. I'm on Android 4.0 and it doesn't even require an app, you just toggle on WiFi calling.

I'm on a Samsung using T-Mobile.

Ryan
Old 02-15-2014, 03:23 PM
They call me Spuds

1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute
I've used both, prefer the Android. Currently have a Sony Xperia. Dust and waterproof, great signal, pretty stout.

Next phone will probably be a Samsung though, like their user interface vs the Sony.... T-Mobile as well.

Last edited by 1970Custom; 02-15-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Get a motorola phone they have great reception. The s4 is weak in the reception area in comparison to the Moto phones.
My electrify/photon picks up in areas other phones can't get a bar. I pack a extra battery with me but normally I get 12-16 hours per battery with semi heavy use.
Randy
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM
GingaNinja

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
Droid Maxx here.. and the 48 hour battery life ad, is no claim. its 100% true.. and not even on WiFi. just cell signal. with a good bit of use.. lasted me around 44 hours.. so standby is easy 48.

use is easy. cell signal is awesome..

Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM
They call me Spuds

1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Get a motorola phone they have great reception. The s4 is weak in the reception area in comparison to the Moto phones.
My electrify/photon picks up in areas other phones can't get a bar. I pack a extra battery with me but normally I get 12-16 hours per battery with semi heavy use.
Never had much luck with Motorola phones, they always tend to break in some fashion. I'll sacrifice some signal for durability...