Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stink tube

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My RV has a Yanmar 4 cylinder water cooled 1800 rpm engine. I was looking and investigating shit today and was trying to figure out where the apparant oil leak was coming from.

Looks like the valve cover has a stink tube that simply drops down to beside the engine....so there is an oil spray all over the place.

If I extend the tube below the genny, pretty sure there will be oil spooge sprayed everywhere esp. if I am in transit...not acceptable.

Thinking about dropping the tube in a can with holes punched in the lid...oil should settle and allow vapors to escape.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

If you do that be sure to put some steel wool in there and run said tube to about a 1/4in from the bottom so the wool will trap the oil mist from the blow by but let the pressure out the top of the can. or just buy an after market catch can for it and go from there.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You do know that all that oil is blow by from the rings being worn, right?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You do know that all that oil is blow by from the rings being worn, right?

Yeah, which isa can of worms I really don't want to open right now. Depressingly there is only 2500 hours on it.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I remember "fixing" the leak on the blowby tube in my dad's '58 ford truck by stuffing a rag up the tube. It worked really well for about 4 days...…..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
We had an old 89 hilux surf with the mighty 2.4 turbo diesel in it ...... the blowby was so excessive she'd dump a litre out every 500km. The "fix" was to "borrow" one of the kid's plastic lunch boxes and 1/2 fill it with goldilocks pot scrubbers then plumbed the pcv line into it - vapours escaped through some holes drilled in the top of it and after a few days running we'd just tip the oil collected back into the engine. That old surf did nearly 200000 more km like that and was still going when sold!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
We had an old 89 hilux surf with the mighty 2.4 turbo diesel in it ...... the blowby was so excessive she'd dump a litre out every 500km. The "fix" was to "borrow" one of the kid's plastic lunch boxes and 1/2 fill it with goldilocks pot scrubbers then plumbed the pcv line into it - vapours escaped through some holes drilled in the top of it and after a few days running we'd just tip the oil collected back into the engine. That old surf did nearly 200000 more km like that and was still going when sold!!!

Hmmmmmmm.....:D

Ford Truck Articles