Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

77 F100 running again. EGR gone. Panel lights ?

Hardball

77 F100 400 2V C6
Oregon
Truck sat all last winter until about a month ago. I finally kitted the carb. Found the EGR bad. Ordered a replacement from NAPA. It was bad too. Got a second, also bad. Napa refunded my 90 some bucks and I decided to leave it off. Made a plate from a 3/8x1 1/2 aluminum strap. Gasketed it place of the EGR. Removed the vacuum lines. Put the distributer vacuum advance line to the S port. I will post a diagram of the new vacuum set later. After the carb and other was back on, the 400 started right up and needed only a little tweaking by ear. Right now the truck is at a mechanic for scoping and fine tuning. Even with only tuning it by ear, it runs stronger than ever. More to report after return from shop Monday or Tuesday.

Second question area is the behind the dash panel lights. The turn socket in back of the cluster. The socket holes are wasted and the contacts are ruined. I have an alternate light for now. A little clip on reading LED flashlight. Kind of crappy, but is there a good fix for the little light behind the instrument cluster?

Hardball (as in 230 FMJ EIC competitions)

Last edited:
Truck sat all last winter until about a month ago. I finally kitted the carb. Found the EGR bad. Ordered a replacement from NAPA. It was bad too. Got a second, also bad. Napa refunded my 90 some bucks and I decided to leave it off. Made a plate from a 3/8x1 1/2 aluminum strap. Gasketed it place of the EGR. Removed the vacuum lines. Put the distributer vacuum advance line to the S port. I will post a diagram of the new vacuum set later. After the carb and other was back on, the 400 started right up and needed only a little tweaking by ear. Right now the truck is at a mechanic for scoping and fine tuning. Even with only tuning it by ear, it runs stronger than ever. More to report after return from shop Monday or Tuesday.

Second question area is the behind the dash panel lights. The turn socket in back of the cluster. The socket holes are wasted and the contacts are ruined. I have an alternate light for now. A little clip on reading LED flashlight. Kind of crappy, but is there a good fix for the little light behind the instrument cluster?

Hardball (as in 230 FMJ EIC competitions)

I would simply find a different cluster out of a junk yard. Make sure you get the right one, warning lights or gauges

You need a cluster or cluster back from a 77 and newer with the exact same type dash.. Gauges or Warning lights...it makes a difference.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Cluster Backs: 1975/79 F100/350, 1975/91 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco

Is the cluster back made from a composition material that can TURN TO DUST before your very eyes?

Or is it the service part replacement hard plastic cluster back Ford came out with in 1981?

Forget about getting a cluster back from a 1977/79, it may be the composition crap. Some were replaced by the hard plastic type, some were not.

You want one a these:

E1PZ-10848-A .. Cluster Back-Hard Plastic-Use with Gauges.

Applications: 1981/91 Econoline, Ford replacement for 1975/79 F100/350, 1975/80 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E1PZ-10848-B .. Cluster Back-Hard Plastic-Use with Warning (Idiot) Lights.

Applications: 1981/86 Econoline, Ford replacement for 1975/79 F100/350, 1975/80 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco.

If the '77 has gauges, its printed circuit board (D6TZ-10K843-B) has the same applications as E1PZ-10848-A

If the '77 has warning lights, its printed circuit board (D6TZ-10K843-C) is specific to 1976/78: F100/350 & Econoline, 1978 Bronco.

Last edited:

Hardball

77 F100 400 2V C6
Oregon
BKW
It's F100 "custom" with gauges. Yes the holes receiving the little panel light inserts are chewed up.. Funny the direction blinker arrow sockets hold fine.

I have an contact with the parts guy at the big ford place up near PDX. Landmark Ford? I'll look into those parts. Local to me is Kendall Ford.

I read the topic on door hinge springs. Not very encouraging. My driver door spring is broken.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
BKW
It's F100 "custom" with gauges. Yes the holes receiving the little panel light inserts are chewed up.. Funny the direction blinker arrow sockets hold fine.

I have an contact with the parts guy at the big ford place up near PDX. Landmark Ford? I'll look into those parts. Local to me is Kendall Ford.

I read the topic on door hinge springs. Not very encouraging. My driver door spring is broken.
Find a 1981/91 Econoline in a junkyard, remove the entire cluster, then use the hard plastic cluster back (E1PZ-10848-A) and the printed circuit board (D6TZ-10K843-B).

The parts are obsolete (except for the bulb plastic sockets which are available from Ford), but can be found NOS if you're interested.

I'm familiar with both those OR dealers, and just returned from a 18 day vacation in WA & OR. Drove the WA side (highway 14) of the Gorge from Pasco to Vancouver, but stayed in Boardman & Hood River OR

Drove the OR side of the Gorge R/T in 1991

Last edited:

Hardball

77 F100 400 2V C6
Oregon
Thanks BKW
I will look into it at B&R

How about the fan speed switch on the heater/AC control with all the vacuum connections. Seems all have the same burnt contacts. Any fix there. I have wired in a rotary select switch for now.

77 F100 Custom short wide. 400 2V C6.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Note: Make sure the 1981/91 Econoline has oil/amp gauges, because 1981/86's also came with idiot lights. With idiot (warning) lights, the parts are not the same.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts