Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which would you prefer

How do you prefer your parts/literature

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was just curious as to what everybody's mindset is when it comes to getting parts and literature. Of course everyone would prefer to nab NOS items, but let's face it, not all of us can afford all NOS all the time, so I'm going to leave that out as an option. But I'm curious as to if you guys would prefer lightly used OEM parts or top notch reporduction parts or if you don't care, cheap is your deciding factor. And the same question when it comes to literature.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I choose lightly used OEM parts and BACON!

Usually they're the best quality and tend to hold up better. I hope I can find a nice set of rust free fenders for my 94 when I put that thing back together....

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
It depends on the part. If it is bolt on, used is totally fine with me. If it has to be cut off, and welded back on, I am more inclined to get quality reproduction pieces. It needs to fit right, and the cheap stuff doesn't generally bolt right on without some messing around.
When it comes to literature, the only kind I really care about is service manuals, beyond that, it doesn't matter at all to me really. Used, reproduction, all cool by me. And there is always time for BACON!!! ;)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
All the above Ben....in different circumstances and for different rigs of mine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I chose OEM, for the main reason that I think it's the best option as far as quality is concerned. I've tried the cheapy route before...and those savings really don't mean much when you're sitting on the side of the road or paint is flaking off or a slight push with your thumb can dimple the material.. As for being patient, usually when I need something, I need it then, so there's no being patient about it. But I'm slowly learning the art of maintaining a parts budget so when you see something worth while, you have the coin for it. As for the reproduction stuff, I find more often than not, it's a bunch more expensive than OEM and can sometimes be as high NOS prices.

Literature on the other hand, I get it more or less for gaining knowledge, so I don't care about the resale value and whatnot.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I prefer used OEM, as you said NOS is nice, but the price reflects that too...

As for literature, i get it to learn and refference too. When im done with it, ill likely be giving it away for somebody else to learn.

See my sig for opinion on Bacon....

Canadian Bacon at that ! :)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Literature... What's that?

I literally own almost no truck books. Carl sent me one on transmission for gen 8 and I have a chilton manual for the 94 that I never use.

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I chose oem, cheap, and being patient. It just depends on exactly what I need. As far as literature all I have is a Haynes manual which I hardly ever need to use, an owner's manual that I bought off ebay, and a sales brochure that I found cheap. I really don't need much literature on my truck since I can get most if not all of the questions I have answered here which is more fun than reading a book.

I have $$$$ thousands invested in Automotive Literature if anyone is interested.

All sorts of OEM,1st edition aftermarket books,brochures,texts,etc etc etc etc

I buy it if I don't have it and I don't pay retail for any of it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I think I have about $20 invested :rofl2:

I have $$$$ thousands invested in Automotive Literature if anyone is interested.

All sorts of OEM,1st edition aftermarket books,brochures,texts,etc etc etc etc

I buy it if I don't have it and I don't pay retail for any of it.

Shop manual for an 88 Bronco?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Literature... What's that?

I literally own almost no truck books. Carl sent me one on transmission for gen 8 and I have a chilton manual for the 94 that I never use.

Ryan

I use it more or less as bathroom reading material most of the time. I think the Haynes and Chilton's are all but useless, but will reference for tq specs or capacities from time to time. Other than that, I loooove just learning about my rig, be that mechanically or options that were available. Currently, I only have literature directly related to rigs I own or have previously owned, and I bet I've read all of it cover to cover a couple times each. I'll especially use the shop manuals and owner's manuals when I do something I'm not sure of for the first time. There are even a few pieces of high use material that I have a greasey used set sitting in the car port and then a second mint set that I'll read for pleasure.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I use it more or less as bathroom reading material most of the time. I think the Haynes and Chilton's are all but useless, but will reference for tq specs or capacities from time to time. Other than that, I loooove just learning about my rig, be that mechanically or options that were available. Currently, I only have literature directly related to rigs I own or have previously owned, and I bet I've read all of it cover to cover a couple times each. I'll especially use the shop manuals and owner's manuals when I do something I'm not sure of for the first time. There are even a few pieces of high use material that I have a greasey used set sitting in the car port and then a second mint set that I'll read for pleasure.

I have even seen Chiltons list torque specs that are NOT for the piece of equipment that they have listed i.e, 110 ft lbs for carburetor bolts. :suspicious:

Cool! :)

$31 for the whole set of 1975 Ford Shop Manuals in Nov of '74 and since
they arrived in the mail before the special ordered pickup showed up at
the dealership, I've actually had them longer. ;)

Any vehicle I get that I want to keep running, I get the factory manuals
for it right away, did that with the '91 F150 I inherited. ~$320?

You can tell by reading the stupid questions on website forums who has
bothered to read the original manuals and who ain't. :)

Hey. We're not in friggin' grade school anymore, so yes, there -is- such a
thing as -stupid- questions. Ok? ;)

And those that don't read the product literature are the ones that ask 'em
too! LOL :)

Go ahead an' brag on the fact you don't have 'em and/or don't read 'em! :)
Makes you sound like a real dumbass. Thought I'd point that out to you
because your mommy didn't want to hurt your feelings, sounds like? ;)

Those that brag about not knowing and not reading I tend to lump in with
the guys that sat at the back of the class and took up smoking in school.

That description fit any of you "non-reader" guys? LOL :)

"[Alvin] you're worthless as tits on a boar hog! :/" -mom

But at least I like to figure out stuff on my own and wasn't so stupid as
to take up smoking.

There. :)
Brag away, be-otch. :)
I got your number. :)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts