Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new toy/project

Hello. I haven't posted much as my 89 f150 isn't much to brag about, but that's gonna change now. Just brought home my new baby, 78 4x4 SuperCab. :) Body needs a lot of work, but it runs and drove the 30mins to get home with no problem. I'm starting on the wiring, then tuneup, then frame resto, etc. I could use whatever input/advice you have. I'm not new to work, but am to old fords. I've been looking for one for a couple years, and this one was looking for me. $600, drove it home, can't complain. Pix:

pickup005.jpg

pickup003.jpg

pickup004.jpg

pickup006.jpg

pickup007.jpg

pickup013.jpg

pickup012.jpg

pickup011.jpg

pickup010.jpg

pickup008.jpg

Any of this worth anything? I don't need it.
4824b02c.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks like a good project for the money. Can't wait to see the progress.

Not bad for $600. Will need some work, but most do. Lookin forward to seeing some process on it.

Thanks. I've got a 75 Monte carlo that I'm restoring, so I already know the ins/outs of frame restoring. If I can swing the money for bushings/seals/etc, I plan on having the frame done within a month. Body will take a while, but in the mean time I can get it running it's best. I want a 4-6" lift with around 38's. Nothing major, just something to have fun in, but will also pull better than my 89.

It's got the dual batteries and an electric fuel pump.

73F100Shortbed has a 74Longbed cousin

Looks like a good project for the money. Can't wait to see the progress.
Hey 73F100Shortbed; With a 302 and manual, what kind of mileage, intown and highway? I'm curious since I thought of a 302 but went off the deep end and put in a 428. That was 10 years ago when gas was only 2.25 per. Now I wash, wax, and look at my 74F100Longbed, 4x4, air, Offenhauser intake, Edelbrock 650, duals, and otherwise completely stock. No, I put 78 F150 powersteering from the box, not the ram.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I usually get 10-13 mpg. Some people say they get more, but I haven't seen it. Even with fresh tune-up, etc I get max of about 13mpg. Doesn't bother me too much. I refrain from long road trips with the price of gas, but if I need to go somewhere I go.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
so is threadjacking common here? that's what messages are for aren't they??

Fairly common...I believe someone here did say once something to the effect of:

"this is FTF, rarely does a thread start and finish on the same topic"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
OK thats a sig for a while !

I'm just repeating what I've read here...might have been Tyler that said that.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well, this thread is living up to your sig...:rofl: :rofl:

Glad you guys are having fun. I'm used to a forum that doesn't like it. As long as I get some useful info every now and then, I won't complain too much. ;)

Back to my truck, prev owner took the manual choke off and put something else, doesn't look like the electrics I've seen. It has a screw in the center to adjust lean/rich. How do you get it set right? I'm having some troubles when taking off and want to rule that out.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Glad you guys are having fun. I'm used to a forum that doesn't like it. As long as I get some useful info every now and then, I won't complain too much. ;)

There are lots of knowledgeable people here and questions do usually get good answers!
The admin has been known to "monkey" around as well :D

Back to my truck, prev owner took the manual choke off and put something else, doesn't look like the electrics I've seen. It has a screw in the center to adjust lean/rich. How do you get it set right? I'm having some troubles when taking off and want to rule that out.

It's about time you asked a question. We were having trouble thinking of posts to put in your thread..

Have you got a picture of that after market choke adjustment ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I believe the wire needs to be connected to the stator winding of the alternator...has that been checked?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts