Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1948 F-1 or F-2

I just picked up my first 1948 what I thought was an F-1. The VIN in 87HY75621. If I have read all of the posts correctly that should be a 1948-F-2 with a 6 cylinder engine. The wheel base is 114 inches. The bed is 66" long and 50" wide, which tells me its and F-1 but the VIN tell me is an F-2. Anyone have any thoughts please. Thanks

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Where did you find the VIN?

There's only one verifiable location - top frame rail near the motor mount, passenger side (US)

And you're correct - the serial number you posted says it's a 6 cyl F2 or F3. But your dimensions all say F1 - something isn't right.

Tim, Interesting that you say the passenger side. This number is stamped on the drivers side frame rail near the motor mount. I have looked at it, compared it to the title, but never thought to look at the passenger side frame rail. Let me go look.... Well a quick look did not show any numbers stamped in that frame rail. I will take a closer look tomorrow when I get a chance. Were they always on the passengers side frame rail in the US?

Attachments

• VIN.jpg

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Usually on the passenger side, but not always. Your picture shows a factory stamping.

Does your cab have F2 insignia? The Y designation was used for both F2 and F3 up thru around serial # 110,000.

Is there any indication that the frame has been cut off? The difference between F2/F3 and the F1 is only 8"

And last, the guys on the assembly line who did the hand stamping were human and made errors. I've heard of other mis-stamped trucks. Yours could be another.

Tim, I took another look at both frame rails and can not find anywhere that indicates work was done on it. So don't think they shortened it. Anyway I am going forward with the assumption of a mis-stamped VIN. Now, on to other issues, Engine, brakes, clutch, wiring. LOL Need to develop a plan. Thanks for your responses.

Attachments

• 20180728 In garage 2-1.jpg

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks for the info - it's all part of the puzzle. It's obvious the only constant was variation when it came to assembly line stampings.

It's hard to tell how much has been changed in the past. Your battery tray is on the V8 side, but the starter solenoid is on the 6 cyl side.With no obvious evidence of wiring stretching across the firewall, I'd guess the 6 cyl on the vin is accurate.

That's a great looking truck!

Ford Truck Articles