Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How many quarts of 50/50? (460 gas)

As you know, I'm a newbie without a manual. Sorry. How many quarts of pre mixed 50/50 antifreeze/ water do I need? I want to drain, flush and refill system. Thanks everyone. I'm learning. Good to be on board your forum.

Jerry

Fellro

Staff member
You save quite a bit if you buy the full strength and mix it yourself... Just saying. You won't get all of it out unless you pull the block drains out on the side of the block. and generally have to poke through the crap that has settled at the bottom of the water jacket.

If you go premix, get a couple gallons. You can always just put the extra aside and hold on to it. If you get the full strength, pour half of it into another jug and add water to it. Then you have 2 gallons again.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I think the capacity on those is about 4.5 gallons...

Buy two gallons of straight concentrated antifreeze and one of 50/50. Pour the first gallon of concentrate in. Fill that jug with water and pour it in. Now pour half of the other concentrate into your empty jug. Fill both jugs up with water - they're now both 50/50. Pour them in as needed. If you're still short you can bust out that jug of 50/50 you bought, otherwise stow it somewhere so you'll have it if you blow a hose on the side of the road some day or something.

Cooling system capacity

Thanks guys. Good point about buying full strength 2 gals and then mixing this with 2 gals of water. I appreciate your advice and your tip about saving money by buying full strength.

Jerry

Ford Truck Articles