Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 Port matching first timer.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hello every one, well I got my new Edelbrock performer 460 intake in and the ports on the manifold are smaller then the D0ve heads ports, should I grind out the ports on the intake?
The reason I ask is I read in engine masters awhile back that on stock BB engines its not a good idea to port match them due to the fact that its a low rever making its power at low rpms and having larger ports can hurt performance flow characteristics.
When the engine was rebuilt they Rv camed it but were still running the stock headers and intake.. what do you guys think about this? port match could it hurt or not even make a difference?? :) thanks every one.

I have no idea but I would like to know the answer. My 79 has a 460 with an RV cam also. The intake and exhaust manifolds are both stock. Eventually it will get headers and a new intake.

Port matching heads on a low rpm motor will not gain you a thing, most likely won't hurt you unless you get stupid and hog it out to far and cause the port velocity to slow down to far at low rpms and allow the fuel to drop out of suspension.
Port matching is better left to race engines only. But if your REALLY feel a need so you can brag it's been done by all means go ahead and it probably won't hurt you much.
You know it's braggin rights, just like using DOVE heads, don't gain ya much but you can brag you got em to those that are uniformed.

masterbeavis

California Chapter member
Opening up the ports on the manifold will hurt the velocity of the air fuel mixture. That might/will kill some low end torque. Port matching your exhaust manifolds on the other hand, is not a bad idea. Most 335/385 fords did not have a problem with breathing on the intake side, its the exhaust side that needs the work.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts