Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

runs like (you know)

:hammer: :headbang: :horse: ok im lost on this problem. ok when im driving my 1984 F-250 everyonce and awhile it wants to bogg and try to cut out and shutdown on me and when i and trying to smoke an import its wil bogg like a rev limiter. its a 1984 F-250 with a 460 i just rebuilt the dist. it has a edelbroke 650 4bbl i think that the carb is too small but dont know. the truck runs 2 ele. fuel pumps but only the rear is hooked up im also pleaged with wirer issues and really thinking about selling the truck so please help if you can

I'm copying this thread to the 429/460 forum to help get you an answer...

Did you put the Carb in yourself, or was it already on there? there is a known issue with that motor that the spacer plate gets leaks real easy, and it's almost impossible to use the same one twice, yet many people do it and have the problems you do.
I also think the 650 is way too small... 750 minimum, 850 preferred. that motor needs to breathe!
Also, on your wiring problems, the light sockets corrode easily, the heater switch is junk, and the column wiring cracks and chafes.

a 460 doesn't need a 850cfm carb unless it's a race only engine, heck a 750 is almost too much. The typical street motor with an aftermarket dual plain intake at 6000rpm only needs 680cfm for a 460cid engine. you are actually hurting yourself over carbing these engines that much. a 650cfm is enough carb to feed a 460 to the typical 5200rpm carb limit if you REALLY have to have the braggin rights of a 750 at least make sure it's a vacuum secondary carb.

Mine had a 750 w/ mechanicals, but then again it was an F350, had a 9 x 7 flatbed on the back and pulled a 45' gooseneck.
Really the main thing I was pointing out was the spacer plate issue.

the only i know is the motor and truck wasnt fast enough from factory so they boored it .30 over im the 6ft owner and the truck was special ordered and me and my dad are thinking its a lemon truck im sooooo frustrated with this truck

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I too take my 750 off and traded it for a 650 Ed, I was going to say I was having a issue like this with my 302, I tracked it down to the squirter and choke, it was closing when I would dump on it hard and again when I put on a Holley the floats were not adjusted correctly so when I would dump it , it wasn't letting enough fuel in..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts