Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question About Charging Voltage On Not Ford

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I've been getting some spurious CEL's and other alarms on a Not-Ford, and have been reading that a low-voltage situation will cause some unusual alarms to show up. I have a brand new battery, and the alternator is original(127,000 miles). I'm wondering if the alternator is hit or miss.

I'm getting 14.0 volts at the battery when the engine is running at 1000 rpm. Is this an acceptable voltage produced from the alternator?

On edit, the battery voltage with the engine off is 12.5 volts.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
To the best of my knowledge the minimum charging voltage for a 12v lead acid battery is 13.8 volts. Sounds like your alternator is fine in my unprofessional opinion

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Battery volts and charge are fine.
Time to hook up a scanner and pull the codes.
post them, we will help figure out what's going on

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Battery volts and charge are fine.
Time to hook up a scanner and pull the codes.
post them, we will help figure out what's going on

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'm getting 14.0 volts at the battery when the engine is running at 1000 rpm. Is this an acceptable voltage produced from the alternator?

On edit, the battery voltage with the engine off is 12.5 volts.

Normal. What are you working on? This because, I have an ELM327 adapter that's looking for a good home, the price is so right, and this + one of several available apps will allow you to pull the generic OBDII codes on your Android phone (tablet).

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you all. I have an OBD II scanner that came up with only one code which indicates a small evaporative emission leak (P0456). I'm thinking maybe gas cap, so I ordered a new one.

I might get banned, but the car is a 2009 Toyota 4runner with 4.0 liter engine. I am getting the check engine light, and also the "VSC Off"(Variable Skid Control) light at the same time. Some reading has indicated that the Toyotas will throw some unrelated codes that don't apply to the real problem.

I can clear the code via the OBD scanner and it will come back in a couple days later.
Thank yous guys for your help.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You have a speed sensor going south
Have fun figuring out which one

Ford's tell you which one
Yota's...... not

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Normal. What are you working on? This because, I have an ELM327 adapter that's looking for a good home, the price is so right, and this + one of several available apps will allow you to pull the generic OBDII codes on your Android phone (tablet).
Where were you last week when I had to buy one??????:rotz:

oh well.
'smiliedoh'

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Installing a new gas cap cleared the check engine light and the "VSC Off" alarm. The two are completely unrelated but I have been reading that the car will cause alarm lights to come on that have nothing to do with the real issue. After about 1500 miles with a new gas cap, the codes haven't returned.

Ford Truck Articles