Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need model suggestion for my first resto project

Hi. I'm new to the board and I've come to see if the good people here can help me narrow down a pickup truck model to focus on as a rebuild project. Lately I've been learning some about the 60-66 trucks and decided this is the style I'd like to focus on. But before I get into the project details, a little about myself..

I'm a self taught reasonably competent mechanic that's been doing all my car maintenance (except deep engine, clutch or trans work) for the last 20 years or so. I have some body (bondo, primer and wet sanding) experience but haven't done much in the way of dent removal or panel replacement. Although I don't have a lot of welding experience mig welding comes naturally enough. If I don't know how to do something I ask questions, and with good advice can usually get the job done.

So, what I'm looking for.. Basically I'd like to find a good, what I'd call 'atomic era' truck of early to mid 60s (or 50s possibly) to get into good shape and use as a work truck. After getting it right mechanically and with a great body and paint job, it would be used primarily to travel to bid on residential and commercial painting jobs. Basically it would be used as a selling point to illustrate the quality of work we do as a company.

Requirements for the truck is to be gas efficient, which would probably mean an in-line 6 engine paired with an auto trans w/ overdrive. And to be comfortable and drivable... meaning power steering, disc brakes and a/c. It would need to handle stop and go city driving, as well as be able to do short hops of 65 mph safely on the interstate. Hauling duties would be minimal.

The model I've gotten to know best so far are the 60-66 Chevy c10s, although I'm open to just about anything including the same era f100s or Internationals, or I even sort of like the 50s Chevy Advance Design models.

So that's about it. You guys have an opinion on what model trucks of this era would be a good candidate for what I'm looking to do?

Fellro

Staff member
If fuel efficiency is a bigger concern, classic trucks don't tend to fit the bill. However, the old flatheads can do pretty well for themselves.

Again, this is a Ford board, so there will obviously be bias towards Fords... The most popular of that era tends to be the "fat fender" 50-53. The 60's slicks are good. It comes down to what you really want, and then what you can get parts for.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
1) You'll have to define fuel efficient...is that 12mpg, 20mpg or 30mpg???
2) If 12mpg, anyone that knows what they're doing should be able to get that out of a stock/mild V8 build. If 20mpg, you're looking more at a fuel injected 300 swap, or a coyote 5.0 swap. 30mpg won't happen, but a 12v cummins swap would be about the closest you'd get.
3) Keep in mind gearing will play a role in your mpg as well.
4) What you realistically need to do is establish a budget, then double it. Or buy something almost done, and make the last few tweaks.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hi. I'm new to the board and I've come to see if the good people here can help me narrow down a pickup truck model to focus on as a rebuild project.

Lately I've been learning some about the 60 [confused]-66 trucks and decided this is the style I'd like to focus on. But before I get into the project details, a little about myself..
Hmmm, I read this same post earlier today on t'other site. But over there, you posted it in the correct forum related to the trucks (excepting 1960) you're interested in.

This forum is for Generation 6 (1973/79).

1957/60 are completely different than 1961/66 (Generation 4).

If you want decent MPG, forget it. 1961/66 trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick, a gallon of regular gas was 19-25 cents back then and no one gave a hoot about MPG

Don't expect to get any better than 8-12 city MPG .. You might get 15-18 highway MPG if you drive "Tricky Dick's" double nickel (55 MPH).

You don't buy on a these trucks for their paltry MPG .. If you want decent MPG, buy a used econobox.

Last edited:
Sorry it's taken a bit to get back here but I really appreciate all the advice. Seems like the further I get along in my research the more I'm leaning toward a 63-66 c10. It looks good plus it lends itself a little more to the creature comfort upgrades I'm wanting.

For fuel efficiency if I can match my Jeep I'd be ok with that. So we're talking about 14 city, 19 highway.

Considering body rust is a common problem I've been given advice to look for a half done truck around TX, NM, Ariz, or so cal. Considering I'm in KY how would you go about sourcing a truck from those states? Craigslist, FB?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ugliest truck Chevrolet ever made

Ford Truck Articles