Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'11 Expy Lmtd entertainment screen out- need help

My first post but boy do I need help!

Went to start the Expedition up and battery was dead. Jump started it, everything is fine except that the entertainment screen and all it's functions are out.

Checked owner's manual- no fuses linked to that system. Went on line, read that disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes can reset the computer. Tried it but negative results.

I'm hoping there's maybe a reset I don't know about? Any of you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think you're dealership bound

Pinpoint Test Z: The Audio Front Control Module (ACM) Touchscreen Display Is Inoperative/Does Not Operate Correctly — Vehicles With Navigation

Normal Operation

The Audio Front Control Module (ACM) receives inputs via the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) from the following modules:

Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) : SYNC® system information (if equipped)
If the ACM loses the signal from any of these modules, only that specific display is inoperative.

Because the satellite radio receiver is internal to the ACM , all satellite radio information on the display is directly generated by the ACM .

The compass heading is derived from the Global Positioning System (GPS) antenna. If there is a concern with the compass display, there should also be a concern with the GPS signal. GO to Pinpoint Test N.

This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose the following:

Communication network concern
ACM
PINPOINT TEST Z : THE ACM TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY IS INOPERATIVE/DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY — VEHICLES WITH NAVIGATION Z1 OBSERVE THE ACM DISPLAY
Turn the audio system on and observe the ACM screen.

Is the ACM display completely inoperative?

Yes GO to Z4.
No GO to Z2.

Z2 CHECK THE ACM DISPLAY SEGMENTS
Carry out the Audio Display Test. Refer to Audio Control Module (ACM) Self-Diagnostic Mode in this section.

Do all of the ACM segments operate correctly?

Yes GO to Z3.
No GO to Z5.

Z3 OBSERVE THE SPECIFIC INOPERATIVE DISPLAY
Observe the inoperative ACM display while carrying out the indicated diagnostic method as follows:

Inoperative Display Diagnostic Method Expected Results
Audio system Turn the audio system on, press the RADIO button, and adjust the audio settings using the touchscreen. The ACM changes the setting and updates the display to show the change in audio setting.
Satellite radio system Turn the audio system on, press the MEDIA button until satellite radio mode is entered, and adjust the settings using the touchscreen. The ACM changes the setting and updates the display to show the change in satellite radio setting.
SYNC® system (if equipped) Turn the audio system on, press the PHONE button, and attempt several functions using the touchscreen. The ACM display shows information relating to the phone.

Does the inoperative display confirm the expected results?

Yes The system is operating correctly at this time. INFORM the customer on the operation of the ACM displays.
No GO to Z4.

Z4 CHECK FOR LOST COMMUNICATION DTCs
NOTE: Audio system lost communication DTCs include U0184, U0184:00, U0196, U0196:00, U0197 and U0197:00.

Using the scan tool, retrieve all continuous DTCs from all modules.

Are audio system lost communication DTCs present in any module?

Yes REFER to DTC Charts in this section.
No GO to Z5.

Z5 CHECK FOR CORRECT ACM OPERATION
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect all the ACM connectors.
Check for:
corrosion
damaged pins
pushed-out pins
Connect all the ACM connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
Operate the system and determine if the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes INSTALL a new ACM . REFER to Audio Control Module (ACM) in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Trying to diagnosing my wife's EXPI as compared to my 77 or 79.......what's that rattle or where's that leak? :)

Good luck!

Thanks, blacksnapon. After reading your post it's way beyond my pay grade!

Should I offer your post to the tech guys at the dealership or do you think they might be offended? I just want to get this thing fixed as inexpensively as possible!

Peter

Thanks again, blacksnapon.

The dealership cleaned up corroded battery terminal. They replaced fuse 39 20amp in SJB and did a master reset.

I then looked in my owner's manual and realized 39 was the radio! I didn't know that the whole entertainment screen was controlled by one fuse! I sure wish I had known that earlier! $142 to replace a fuse!

I will post a review of this issue on the board so if something like this happens to other owners they can benefit.

Peter

Ford Truck Articles