Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got any ideas on how to refinish a foam headliner?

One I got from the "top" of a '92 Bronco that has completely lost its
fuzzy fabric covering and noticed today, that there are places where
the cab's headliner is losing its fuzzy fabric covering too. :/

What did you do? :)
What would you try? ;)

Neither are installed right now, but I'm gettin' ready to re-install 'em.

Alvin in AZ

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm not entirely clear on the details, but I saw one that came out real nice in a VW Golf last summer...

He got some really light-weight "Polar-fleece" type fabric in a pattern he liked at a fabric store, stripped the original fabric (that was already falling off) from the backing, and glued the fleece down with a 3M spray adhesive.

The fleece-stuff worked well because it's a stretchier fabric than most of what you'll find...so it can conform to the shape of the headliner better.

Take it for what it's worth...I didn't do it, or see it done. [confused]

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I'm not entirely clear on the details, but I saw one that came out real nice in a VW Golf last summer...

He got some really light-weight "Polar-fleece" type fabric in a pattern he liked at a fabric store, stripped the original fabric (that was already falling off) from the backing, and glued the fleece down with a 3M spray adhesive.

The fleece-stuff worked well because it's a stretchier fabric than most of what you'll find...so it can conform to the shape of the headliner better.

Take it for what it's worth...I didn't do it, or see it done. [confused]

You have most of it right. Once you get the old headliner off carefully remove the old foam and adhesive and Use 3M glue to put down your new liner.

I'm not entirely clear on the details, but I saw one that came out real nice
in a VW Golf last summer...

He got some really light-weight "Polar-fleece" type fabric in a pattern he
liked at a fabric store, stripped the original fabric (that was already falling
off) from the backing, and glued the fleece down with a 3M spray adhesive.

The fleece-stuff worked well because it's a stretchier fabric than most of
what you'll find...so it can conform to the shape of the headliner better.
Yeah, that's sort of what Ford used, it's a thin, loose fuzzy knit-like fabric
that'll stretch in any direction.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ford didn't lay out the fabric etc first, then mold
the hard foam last. :)

Alvin in AZ

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Yeah I guess for longevity, a guy would want to remove the thin green foam
lining off the lower side of the rigid foam core.

I'd kinda like to keep that green foam tho, but will scrape it off, if needs be. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Yeah I did a station wagon and it was a pita... I didn't take all the foam off and the new liner starting falling down in a couple of months.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
When I helped my buddy do his he actually bought fabric at Joann's Fabric then stopped at an upholstery shop where the guy ordered him a large roll of the stuff...don't remember how many yards but it was factory OEM and color and spec...foam attached. Goes on alot like window tint......start from the middle and work it outwards to give it a good firm stretching. Taking the old foam off was tedious.....we used big wire brushes but it got it and all the old adhesive off flawlessly.....

I'm actually redoing mine right now. I'm putting vinyl up. I don't think it will be any noiser than the fabric, will probably last longer, and you can wipe the spit, mud, blood, snot, etc. off easy. I bought it at the auto upholstery, they also sell the factory foam backed stuff there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts