Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tear Down

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
IMG-20150519-01068_zpsrfk8xxj5.jpg

got the big boy toys out today now that i had adapter sockets to fit my 3/4 in... still had to use the 1/2" though for the tighter spots..

IMG-20150519-01070_zpsir1pgtqm.jpg

3/4" ratchet... 3ft pipe.. yep i win.. lol

downside was block threw me a curve too... the lifting tool i bought the reviews said to use the intake manifold bolts to pull the head with.. unfortunately those bolts were too long to do the job so ill have to get some bolts tomorrow on the way home.. hopefully tomorrow ill get the heads extracted... in the mean time its raining under the truck of what coolant was still in the heads...

was surprised by the exhaust bolts though... apparently to connect the up pipes to the manifolds the used through bolts for this?? with nuts on the back side... so annoying when your doing it cab on and the tight spaces there... lol

IMG-20150519-01071_zpsg8vc51n6.jpg

now this has me wondering wth was going on... everything ive read said these should be perfectly straight... they were a bear to get out too... not sure what the plastic thing was the came out with the first one... second one didnt come out with one...

IMG-20150519-01072_zpsuthmstbb.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Ahh.. Good to know.. There goes another $176...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i swear this is annoying.. been looking for 3 days now and still cant find the oil pan seals for the 6.0... not even on the couple ford dealer parts sites..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You call Wade?

blacksnapon

Staff member
i swear this is annoying.. been looking for 3 days now and still cant find the oil pan seals for the 6.0... not even on the couple ford dealer parts sites..
We can have them next day (I checked). There's 3 of them (might not need all of them) 3c3z-6710-aa,ba, and ca.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
sure hope not... lol dont really want to take the lower half apart that far...

as for todays mission...

IMG-20150520-01074_zpsph3bzdv6.jpg

IMG-20150520-01081_zpsls0wtigg.jpg

IMG-20150520-01082_zpsnxfc6vl8.jpg

IMG-20150520-01083_zpsym0toex5.jpg

stewie.jpg

passenger side of the block had a couple spots between the cylinders that looked like the head gasket let go between them... the driver side one had similar looks on the head side... the gasket on the back side of the driver side one looked like the sealing material was missing between the layers...

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I'm assuming I'm to meeasure the smaller side of the alignment dowels to know which gaskets I need right vince?? Block side of the pins bigger than the head side..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Are you going to take them to the machine shop and have them milled true?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Are you going to take them to the machine shop and have them milled true?

yeah giving them to my neighbor... he specializes in cylinder heads.. hes going to flatten them and mill .011 off.. will also check for cracks and leaks, valve seating and the spring tensions..

looks like someone was in the engine not to long ago though.. can still see the hatch marks in the cylinder walls and the pistons look brand fricken new... can still see the stamped numbers in the top of the piston heads..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Can't wait for it to be back together.. I miss the sound of it growling.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
yeah giving them to my neighbor... he specializes in cylinder heads.. hes going to flatten them and mill .011 off.. will also check for cracks and leaks, valve seating and the spring tensions..
Good. I would hate to see you go through all this again

looks like someone was in the engine not to long ago though.. can still see the hatch marks in the cylinder walls and the pistons look brand fricken new... can still see the stamped numbers in the top of the piston heads..
That's not all that unusual, a diesel is only just getting worn in at 250,000, so it should still be a pretty fresh bottom end.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Good. I would hate to see you go through all this again

That's not all that unusual, a diesel is only just getting worn in at 250,000, so it should still be a pretty fresh bottom end.

ive always heard theyre not broken in till 100K... this thing had the engine replaced at 56K.. but seems like its been worked on more recently than that...cuz even at 140K if they were the pistons from the swap.. i shouldnt be able to read that stamping as clear...

Are you using arp studs and factory head gaskets? Doing an egr delete?

in the same order... yes... yes... and still considering it... if i did the valve would still be there as apparently its needed for the cooling fan... or so ive heard repeatedly... but would have block off plates.. for the intake and then new part for the up pipe...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ty duncan... spent the afternoon tearing the heads down the rest of the way... found wet oil in the exhaust port for cyl #8 when i got the manifold off.. gonna have to tear the oil rail down as well... found 4 of the ball tubes really loose when i was checking them... not happy about one of them as it sits in what would be one of the new injectors that just went in last june..

took my micrometer to the block and heads too.. confirmed i have a new style block with 20mm pin holes... and older style heads with 18mm pins.. so ill have to reuse the alignment pins that were in the block.. when i got the glow plugs out i found out they were made by some company called beru... dunno if those are MC ones or not.. some people i talk to say yes.. others say no...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Isn't Beru BW?..wouldn't surprise me if they made them for Ford.

Ford Truck Articles