Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Recommendations For Rebuilt 2150 Carburetor

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Can some recommend a reputable source for a rebuilt 2150 carburetor(351M/400) 1978? I had the carb rebuilt several years ago, and the builder said I was leaking air around the throttle shaft. He polished the shaft and said if there were further issues, then the carb would need to be replaced. Any suggestions?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Time for an upgrade... the 2150 is one of the sorriest carburetors ever to leave Ford :rofl2:
I think reman units are still pretty easily available though

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Suggestions? 4 barrel intake with 570/600 cfm avenger carb? Lots of rebuilts for the 302, but not many available for the 351M/400.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I personally would yank the intake,put a aluminum 4bbl intake, and a holley EFI unit. Especially SINCE YOUR GOING TO KEEP IT WELL PAST THE DAY YOU DIE.

Kinda late to the party here, but the rebuilt carb that came on the 400 in my '79 F150 has mostly been a headache. I think the guy that I got the truck from said the carb came from O'reilly's so don't get one there. An old mechanic that's pretty sharp said it was setup more for a 302. Still trying to chase down the right main jet to put in it.

The Holley EFI is on my to do list someday when the budget allows.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you. I don't know if you are saying you don't know which jet to put in the carb, or you know what size jet and can't find it. If the latter, here is a link for various jets for a 2150 carburetor at about $6.00 each.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Autolite-Motorcraft-Carburetor-Main-Jet_p_175.html

If you don't know what size jet to use, I can gladly pull the jets off of my old carburetor(original to '78 F150 49 state with a motorcraft 2150) and let you know what those numbers are for a starting reference point.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Changing jets is an old school lost science

I had a buddy that used to have a whole box of jets. He'd spend a whole day changing them.
Carb was flawless when he was done.
Just like EFI does now. LOL

Thank you. I don't know if you are saying you don't know which jet to put in the carb, or you know what size jet and can't find it. If the latter, here is a link for various jets for a 2150 carburetor at about $6.00 each.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Autolite-Motorcraft-Carburetor-Main-Jet_p_175.html

If you don't know what size jet to use, I can gladly pull the jets off of my old carburetor(original to '78 F150 49 state with a motorcraft 2150) and let you know what those numbers are for a starting reference point.

Thanks for the link! I'm honestly not sure what's in there now since I wasn't the one working on it. The guy said he didn't have the jet size I needed at the time, but put in as close to what was needed out of what he had in his little shop. He thought it needs to be in the 57-58 range. I know it's not getting quite enough fuel from 3/4 to full throttle and falls on it's face a little bit so a larger main is in order. Also has a stumble from the AP circuit if you stab the throttle wide open from low RPM. Guessing it's delivering a bit too much fuel there based on how it acts.

If you don't mind I'd be interested to see what the factory jets are supposed to be. Not sure what makes a truck 49 state legal, but mine has the ported gas tanks, emission system (mostly disconnected), and evidently came from the CA factory since it has the green paint stamp on the firewall.

I'm pretty good at tuning dirt bike, ATV, and snowmobile carbs. I've just never gotten into automotive carbs until now so I don't have the background yet on how the carb is laid out and which circuits are where.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I pulled the jets on my 2150 and they have size 57 jets. Hope that helps. Manufactured in California doesn't necessarily mean California required emissions. My truck was also manufactured in California ("R" code in VIN for San Diego), but was sold in Salt Lake City(DSO code 73). Therefore, California emissions did not apply.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for looking! Reinforces the track we were on. Might order 57-59 just incase it needs a little more with the headers on it.

That's what I figured with the build location. Run the plants at capacity and ship the trucks where they needed to go.

Ford Truck Articles